1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Softail Oil Change

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Boomshaw, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Boomshaw

Boomshaw New Member

I am a bit confused on changing the engine oil in my 06 FLSTFI. I followed the instructions in my user manual (and service manual) to a tee. I only end up with about 2, maybe 2 1/2 quarts of used oil from a system that is rated to hold 3.5. Am I missing something here? This has got to just be the oil that is in the oil tank, not ALL the engine oil.

Is there still another quart down in my crankcase that I am not supposed to replace at all oil changes? While I see a seperate drain under the crankcase which I assume is for draining the remaining oil out...my service procedure makes no mention that I should do this. Would this not leave about a quart of dirty oil in my engine at each oil change? The user manual and service manual only speak of draining the oil tank, not the entire oil system.

Please explain this to me. Thanks!
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, you are leaving oil in your engine. i know there are different "tools" out there for getting all the oil out. some i have seen screw on to the oil filter housing, and you run the engine while pouring new oil in and wait to see clean oil then shut it off. some hook into the oil return line and do the same thing. i dont know if i would do this or not, as my e glide drains from the crankcase. im sure some body will chime in here to help. have fun
    chuck
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

not familiar with the Softees

Where's this drain plug? on the bottom of the crankcase itself? or back towards the transmission. I'm not aware that there is a bung plug for the crankcase for Harley cases. My rubbermount has the oil tank under the transmission so there are two plugs on the bottom of the "pan" If there is one plug on the bottom of the pan behid the crankcase it may be for your transmission. Look for the instructions for changing the tranny fluid and see if this plug is the one.
  4. Boomshaw

Boomshaw New Member

Ya, there is a engine oil drain plug at the frame just at the swingarm that is specifically for draining the "oil tank" and this is the only drain that the user manual or shop manual refer to. There is also a small screw-in drain forward of that at the bottom of the crankcase right below the cam cover area. The factory maintenace procedures make no mention of doing anything with this plug.

It just seems strange to me that Harley would only have me drain and then replace the "oil tank" oil and let a quart of old oil mix with it and stay in there.

Maybe that is why I wondered if my local stealer really did change my oil at the 10,000 mile checkup since it looked a bit dirty when I got it back. Hmmmm?

Someone out there must know the reasoning behind this...
  5. CD

CD Guest

Is your bike on the kick stand? If so, there is your extra oil. Did you run it up to full temp, shut it off and put on a level lift and drain? If not, chances are you have at least .5 qt in the crank case. You can use the plug to drain the crank case but....be bloody careful and not cross thread or strip it...

BTW, I have never come across any lube system that was a 100% drain and fill without some mixing. The only way to get all the old oil out is to use an oil flush kit.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
  6. Boomshaw

Boomshaw New Member

Is your bike on the kick stand? No.

Did you run it up to full temp, shut it off and put on a level lift and drain?
    Yes.

I guess that is what is going on then. It was more like a quart and a half hiding somewhere though. I rode the bike until good and hot, put her on a level stand, waited about three minutes, and drained. I let it drain until no more had come out for a few minutes.

I know you don't get ALL the old oil out at each change. I just thought that I would get more than I did. 30% left in there seems like a lot to me. I imagine that if Harley felt that I needed to evacuate ALL the oil each time, they would have told me to use the above mentioned flush kit!

Thanks for the info!
  7. roadrnnr

roadrnnr New Member

I think you must of been low when you drained it if you only got 2.5 qt's.

I have a FLSTC and when draining the tank I get about 3 Qt's. 1/2 QT left in block.

When you refill it should only take 3 Qt's with new filter.

Perfectly OK.

I just switched to synthetic and was wondering about this also and was going to do the flush method. Stupid me though I was distracted by a friend and started bike after I put syn in and forgot about flushing it. It all worked out though and seems fine. By next oil change it will be mixed up good.

Don't worry about the 1/2 QT