1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Softail Shocks

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

The ride is getting bumpy on my 2001 Softail. I've got almost 35,000 miles on it. I seem to be bottoming out a lot lately. My boyfriend checked the manual regarding shock adjustment, but we'll have to get the tool and am not sure if it's worth it. How long do stock softail shocks typically last? Is there any hope that an adjustment will work, or should I just spring (so to speak) for a new pair? :confused:

Abby
  2. CD

CD Guest

Shocking!

How long do the stockers last? Oh. about 10-15,000 miles ago usually. The stock shock are no better than stock automotive shocks.

I would put some good new shocks like Progressive or Works and while you are at it freshen up the fork oil and add a little preload to the fork springs which will give you less sag and more travel. You will be surprised how a little extra travel will soften those bumps. I also add about 1/2 oz and go at least to the mid range in oil viscosity.
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was thinking about changing the springs in the front end, but I was really asking about the ones under my butt - the swingarm shocks. I can't tell from your reply if you are referring to the front only or the front and the rear.

Abby :confused:
  4. CD

CD Guest

No butts about it

Both actually. The shocks are usually trashed at 15k and the fork springs sack out not soon after. By changing shocks to Progressive or Works etc, you will make the suspension firmer and have more effective travel. This will make the forks shortcomings real obvious so why not kill two birds at once? By adding some pre-load to the fork springs and adding 1/2 oz and a little stiffer fork oil you will pick up travel and have better dampening. Better yet, some progressive rate springs properly pre-loaded will work even better. Of course, you can go all out and add Race Tech Gold cartridge Emulators and springs and smile... These will really make the forks work well.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

CD's correct, I put on the Progressive suspension shocks shortly after getting the bike, my weight compounded by filling the bags and putting my wife on (she's tiny I'm the problem LOL) made the ride rough.

I haven't changed the front springs but that's a winter project for me have to start doing some research, however I did put HD Racing fork oil in the front forks, much firmer, less dive under braking which I prefer.

You can also lower the rear with the progessives if you are looking for a bit less seat height. I'm not a fan of lowered cruisers, they change the handling and I have a buddy that went down twice in one month and I'm sure it's because he didn't accomodate for the lost suspension travel and reduced cornering clearance then again he's a big-un like me a lighter weight person might get away with it.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks guys

Thanks, you've answered my question.

I don't have an issue with seat height so I'm not looking to lower the bike at all. I'm very comfortable with my bike the way it is, so I have no desire to change anything.
  7. IRJAY

IRJAY New Member

Lowering

I want to lower my 2002 FXST, 2" front and 2" rear, but after reading some posts I am hesitant.
    I am no light weight myself at about 250.

Any other ideas?

Jay