1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Some decel pop..normal, not normal?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by kwalker, Aug 18, 2004.

1. kwalker

kwalker New Member

OK.....I'm going to the experts. Here's the way I understand it. I could be wrong, but I thought some decel "pop" was normal. Once you decel from high rpm's unburned fuel collects in the exhaust and explodes causing the "pop". This usually only occurs when decelling from a high rpm and is considerd normal if minimal. Is that a fair statement when referring to a carbuerated (rejetted with dynojet) 04 Fatboy with bigshots and Ness big sucker. I didn't think it was that big of a deal but have read other posts on other forums that made me second guess. Some say any ammount of "decel pop" is unaccepatable and indicates a "poorly" tuned bike. Under the above circumstances, I thought it was normal and could probably be tuned out only after having the bike Dyno'ed. I'm happy with the way it runs, and the decel is minimal.....just curious.
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I had a stage 2 big bore kit (95ci) and put on 2 into 1 Vance & Hines exhaust, on my new 2004 Road King Classic, I had it re-mapped and I to have some popping on de-excelleration. This is normal, I would not really worry about it unless it gets noticably worse, which when I had my 1998 Fatboy with shortshots it had the same popping, I would just enjoy the ride. Ride Safe, David.