1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Something Different Is Needed

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 1, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to do something different with the Sportster as far as the engine goes for a little while now. Of course I haven't been able to decide on which way I want to go. At first it was to give it an 88 CI but that is pretty expensive and I am building a different engine from scratch so that is now out of the question.

I am now looking at just a cam swap (if there is such a thing), or installing 1.7 rockers, or advancing the cams that I have in conjuction with the 1.7 rocker ratio? I love where the power band is with my current .497 cams but I want more lift without changing my range too much. Opinions related to the options listed would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Hmm well bigger cams will change the power band no matter what you do .you can try the higher ratio rockers .but ya gotta watch out for guide to retainer clearence and piston to valve I dont no what your quench is .
  3. JohnnyBiker

I am not sure w now that a simple cam change would suffice. After speaking with Aaron at Hammer Performance, I would need some head work done. Which is OK with me. I am not sure what the quench is either on this obe.

4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I had a high school buddy that always and still runs the same old 1960-somthing sporty. I don't know what he did but whatever it was, it enabled him to consequetively blow the doors off a 1980-somthing Kaw GPZ 1100. Sportsters have tons of pwer potential. To hear most expert tell it, its the best motor of harley ever.

True story I was there..one time he was again street racing against the 1980'somthing GPZ 1100 and beating him when all of a sudden his bike went into a wobble then slowed and coasted in. What had happened was he said in 2nd gear, going 110mph+ and shifted, shearing off the bolts of his rear sprocket..note to self upgrade tensil strength of bolts when upgrading.

I wish he gave 2 shits about computers because he knows everything about sportsters and would be a great boon to sportster owners.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Since Aaron has taken time to speak with me on this I am for sure going to buy the cams from him. Looking at their .560 sportster cams to start

badinfluence63 likes this.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Yeah, am going to find out what the heck is going on with my Sportster and drive it as I accumulate parts for it with the cam change. Thinking that I may as well bore the barrels for a 1250 since most of it will be apart anyways.

badinfluence63 likes this.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Pending on the cost, I am going to send my heads to Hammer Performance as well. So basically what I will need is head work, barrels bored, pistons, pinion gear, lifters, not sure on push rods, ( pending cam base circle). Going to leave compression about the same so no need for compression releases. Oh and a clutch upgrade.

8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Trade it on a Dyna FatBob with a 103.
    Think the 1st year for the 103 was 2012