1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Something electric

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by louis777, Nov 27, 2008.

1. louis777

louis777 New Member

Went out today turned the key pressed the starter button and pop nothing.
    The lights and all were working till I pushed the starter.She an 87 fxr.I checked all the wires and had juice ,when I turned the key to start I lost the power.Could this be the starter relay or the ignition switch?A couple of times when I was fiddleing with the wire from the relay to the ignition my lights lit up but when I pushed th starter the relay poped and then nothing.
    Any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

A weak battery will do the same thing, or a loose batt cable
  3. louis777

louis777 New Member

Battery

The battery is fully charged and I'm sure the cabels are secure.
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

battery may show full charge but die out / lose its load support if you will when you hit the switch, to test you battery you should load test it that can be done at any reputable parts dealer/ service shop if you don't have a carbon pile yourself or if your handy with a multimeter you can check your voltage drop between each section of your starting circut as you hit the switch could also be a simple ground problem check the other end of your cables too
    let us know what you find
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

louis how old is the batt? not sure where your at but the colder wheather can pull a batt down quick , My Daughters sporty is setting out i the garage went to start it today & all the lights work strong , but the power it takes to start it drops lights & clicks
  6. duke76

duke76 New Member

check your battery connections again, both sides of the cable, Todd
  7. louis777

louis777 New Member

Good job guys

So I went to the garage this morning and the first thing I did was check the battery connections.The ground wasn't screwed down all the way.She started right up.
    The bike laughed at me.
    Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction.
    Ride safe or die trying
  8. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

It kind of piqued my interest when you said you were sure the cables were tight! Dem Harleys do vibrate a bit and bolts seem to always work lose not tighten. Glad you got the cheap fix!
  9. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

guess I didn't get here quick enough, had the same problem many times:roflmao: