1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sometimes its better to NOT stop...

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by kerrycorcoran, Jul 5, 2011.

1. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran New Member

stop along the way and smell the roses.
    Took off Friday with the fiancé, heading towards Dallas, Tx. From Lincoln, NE, we had quite a ride in front of us. We didn't leave until 200pm (as we both had to work) and had to endure the heat for remainder of the day. We decided to end the day in Guthrie, Ok. Just prior to arriving at Guthrie, Ok we were looking straight into a rain cloud and pulled under an overpass to gear up. We rode about 10 minutes and the rain (which was a very slight rain) ended quickly; bad news almost melted in our gear.
    The next day we took off fairly early, hoping to avoid some of the heat; for the most part of Friday we rode in triple digit weather - not a good time. It heated up FAST and we decided to stop in Moore, Ok at Fort Thunder Harley to purchase a t-shirt for the fiancé. No offense to those that collect Harley gear, but I don't wear it and the fiancé loves to shop - I figured I'd cool off while she shopped for a few minutes. We walk in the door, she heads for the clothing section and I wander over to the Street Glides.
    After a minute or two the sales staff approaches and asked if I see anything I am interested in. I have been toying with the idea of a SG, however I just spent the prior week installing a cruise control (hours and $$$) on my 2007 Fatboy. I really like my Fatboy, but the only thing missing was cruise - now with that installed I was set. We continue to talk and discuss what I am looking for, what I'd want for my ride and what it'd take for me to walk out the door with a new ride. Before stepping into the financial office I told my fiancé I was not going to purchase; I have no problem telling a salesperson no, but I assumed they would not accept the offer of what I wanted out of my Fatboy. We throw some numbers around and I say I want to think about it and the fiancé and I decided to head down the road. The dealer low balled me initially and I assumed we'd end there. After a few trips to his manager the financial agent returned stating his manager accepted the terms - honestly, I was shocked. I wasn't attempting to rip anyone off, but dealers usually won't pay what I could sell it for on my own.
    I decided to tell them I was interested, but wanted to think about it and would be in contact. They remained helpful and told me to stay in contact. The fiancé and I took off down the road. We made it approximately 40 miles and stopped for food. I called the dealer back and we negotiated a few more items; had to ensure I would have the needed accessories (back rest and luggage rack) as we were on the road. We came to a fair deal and I told them I was heading back to their dealership.
    Long story short, a few hours later I was driving towards Dallas, Tx on my new 2011 Street Glide - 103", ABS, Cruise, etc. Ended up putting approximately 800 miles on it before pulling into my garage today.
    Moral of the story - Beware of VERY expensive t-shirts!!
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

You should be very happy with that FLHX though. That is what happens when you bring the wife around, they just want to spend. :roflmao:
  3. Ted

Ted New Member

All I can say you better keep that girl. My girl use to push my 1941 61 Harley off when the battery was dead. To poor to buy a new one I kept her, that was 55 years ago.
    Later ole Ted
  4. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran New Member

You want to know the crazy thing? I spent the prior week installing a cruise control on my 07' Fatboy. Spent some money on it too and did it right. When the dealer was looking over my bike they complimented me (and asked how I performed the installation) on the setup :)

Overall though, the SG will fit my style of riding and should be a blast.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I agree with TED, keep the girl as well. :D I am getting to the point to where I need a touring bike that is for sure. I would most likely get the FLHX as well. Do you any picture of the new ride?
  6. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran New Member

Haven't snapped any pictures yet. It's all stock and vivid black! Looks AWESOME clean...but we all know that doesn't last long with black. :witsend:
  7. JohnnyBiker

:worthless::rant:
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That was a cool story, that 103 is really nice.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Heck I take my wife with me just so I wont buy a new bike :D
    Good story & hope you enjoy your new ride & welcome to the site :cool:
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

kerrycorcoran - that was a :roflmao:fun story to hear, thanks for sharing!

:cheers:
  11. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran New Member

The crazy thing is I had spent the prior week installing a cruise control on my '07. :banghead: It worked great, but as stated, when you see a good deal you just have to take it!
  12. JohnnyBiker

Can you tell that to my wife??? Her name is Hot Rider and posts on here as well.:gah:

Start a new thread, something like.... JB Needs a New Bike!!:roflmao: I need all the help I can get..:witsend:
  13. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

Look JB, you pretty much get whatever you want so what you complaining about?:banghead::banghead:
  14. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

You did it right. Went in totally uninterested and walked out. I never would have thought you could call them back like you did and keep negotiating. That's a lesson there. good job.
  15. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Black paint & Harley's go together like love & marriage! Great story and welcome to Bike Talk.