1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

SomeWhat Torn

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 14, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well yesterday I had to run Faribault Harley Davidson because they are an S&S dealer to pick up an outer gear drive key that need and forgot to order. while I was there, I was talking with the parts manager whom I know well and happened to ask me where I was taking my bike to get it tuned when it was time. I had happened to say McLeod County Choppers. Of course after that I had gotten the song and dance about how I should go there and blah blah blah. I never thought that I would consider going anywhere but to my guy, but for some reason, I am giving this some real consideration. Their "performance" expert has built a bike that I am familiar with and most of us have seen. Also, I was brought back to the shop and was able to look at some of the project that jason has built and is building. I saw his VRod Destroyer that he built himself and races. What to do? I know that this Parts manager wouldn't lie to me but I know that MCC will do good by me as well. I want results, bottom line......

Opinions Please.....:banghead::banghead:
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Questions to ask ! Do you normally tune carbs are you familliar with the twin tec ignition software . Will you have a cv 44 tunners kit that now is not serviced by hd anymore to be able to tune my bike? If the answers are yes by all means use the true eddy brake dyno . If not go back to the guy that tuned it in the past for a good deal . The dealer will charge much more than your indy for a tune . Them boys might be great with fuel injection but might not tun carbs well!
  3. JohnnyBiker

The preliminary answers to these kinds of questions is yes to all of them. However I have not heard that from his own mouth. I was planning on calling him tomorrow to get these answers from him. Not sure what you mean by that the CV 44 isn't serviced by HD anymore, that is where I got mine. The jets are the same as the 40 as well the emulsion tube, I mean you and I proved that one.???
  4. baggerpaul

I agree that the jets are the same but the needles and springs are diffrent . No biggie there I guess may not need to change them . But if you do they may not have them to finish the tune . Just ask . I would do what your gut tells ya . But the last few tunes have been at a awesome price . See if they charge by the hour or base price for a full tune?
  5. JohnnyBiker

I did think of the needles but not the springs. I think that MCC had tole me that there was a kit that is available for it. I think that is by YOST. It could have been someone on here that told me about but I haven't looked for it just yet either.

In your professional opinion, and don't skew it, what did you think of the tune(s) that were done by MCC, the place where I normally go??
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Paul...Can you tell us what the difference is with an eddy brake dyno and this dyno that MCC uses... MCC - Dyno Tuning

JMHO...JB, but it seems you built up a good relationship with your Indy and he's given you some good deals on tunes,maybe more...MCC did your head work and jugs,yes??

Unless Jason was head and shoulders above MCC with ability to tune,I would finish with the guy I started with...and like Paul said....go with your gut...
  7. JohnnyBiker

I agree for the most part but the thing that I am worried about is that my gut on this isn't really saying much. I on one hand think that it is absolutely my right to go where it is that I want to for whatever service that I want and to establish "new" relationships. You are absolutely correct that I have built a great relationship with MCC.

I have no idea what Jason's ability is as I have no experience with him. I don't think that my boy Jake would steer me wrong either as he has gone out of his way to help me with other things.

I dropped an email to Jason asking some very basic questions. As of now I will see how he responds to them to find out whether or not I want to pursue this. You are right, MCC has done right by me, and I would feel that I am cheating him (Derrik) if I went to a different tuner. I am tempted though.
  8. baggerpaul

You know that the one thing I like is dyno tunning the same bike on the same dyno for a look at runs over last runs to see the diffrence as I make changes . I think the tunes were allways on the tad rich side but like I allways say feed the motor what it wants to make power not air fuel ratio . Tune for power if it continues to climb with a rich mixture so be it . And ps he never hurt your motor while on the dyno!
  9. JohnnyBiker

I am going to explore and poke Jason's mind a little but doing so without committing. I agree, I do think that it is more important to tune to what the engine likes, not what the math says to do. Now that I think about it, Hot Rider had made a comment while we were talking to my boy Jake and I had said that FHD dyno will give me different numbers than MCC's. I think that I want accurate numbers rather than bragging rights numbers... JMO
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JB I'd talk to the tech that does it and find out how many carb bikes he's used to tuning
    What pauls talking about on the CV is most bikes these guys see now are EFI, third gen by now, Carbs be old school anymore.

Ask around your HOG club to the guys that have performance in their blood not just stage 1 boys.

Also I would suggest you call Bob Wood at Wood Performance Carburetors - High Performance Harley Carbs and Cams he is the top guy in the USA with CV Carbs and sells a jet and needle kit for the cv44 you give him the specs and he'll tell you what to setup over the phone and send the kit, he did my rebel 505 and it was spot on out of the box. Great guy best cv guy in the US bar none.

Ask on HTT and RG and HD forums about woods carbs.
  11. JohnnyBiker

I know who Bob is and I have spoken to him on a couple of occassions. I just hate his prices... :banghead::banghead:
  12. hotroadking

JB the offset is you'll spend less on dyno time because the fuel curve
    for your build will be done almost perfect out of the box with the kit
    his carbs get better fuel mileage and make great power, not everything is
    about low cost, you're paying for 20+ years of knowledge with him as
    your carb kit will dial it in within a jet one way or the other, vs having to
    get a kit with a lot of jets and playing around with inferior needles.

His needle is titanium, light precise and curved correctly for the 44.

Do what ya like but remember sometimes its cheaper to do it right
    with the correct guy up front...

I wouldn't run a cv that bobby hasn't setup, he did it for my 124 and
    it was spot on out of the box... Dyno tuning it the guy made zero changes
    to the carb, time is money....

big companies like sns have massive volume so the costs are lower
    for some things, his are small volume high quality precise parts.

I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed ever with a woods setup
  13. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

what dows your gut say
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Stick with your indy.
  15. JohnnyBiker

My gut isn't really saying a heck of a lot on this one, that is my problem.. :roflmao:

Guys, I do believe that I am going to stay with my Indy. We have built too good of a relationship for me to go somewhere else. I would feel that I am betraying him, even though I know he would say that I can do what I want. My Indy has given me the best service and I am REALLY REALLY HAPPY with the work that he has done for me. Why screw that up? It is really hard to find that kind of relationship. I know, it took a long time to find him.... :D

I am going to take your advice and I am going to use this product and see how we like it. I talked to my Indy and he hasn't used it but I know he know how to use it. He will do right by me and there is no reason for me to go any other place. Thanks..
  16. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:cheers:Good choice JB....:cool:
  17. JohnnyBiker

I think so. :cool: Thanks.
  18. baggerpaul

I think you made a smart and correct choice, knowing what he has done to the heads . and how they flowed on the bench . he will have an idea . what he will have to do to feed it .
  19. JohnnyBiker

I think so. When I talk to him I am really comfortable and for me that is worth a lot. I thought that it was at least worth flirting with as I do like to have many avenues of sources. We will get it :D
  20. hotroadking

BTW the one other advantage of woods is his jets are setup in .09x sizes meaning he has more jets between sizes, where you could go 205 then 210 on HD jets woods would have mutiple sized between the 205 to 210 which allows the tuner to really dial it in tight not have to guess and then pick the better but not perfect of the two HD sizes.

For example a woods .094 is the same as an HD 241 which doesn't exist you'd have to go leaner to 240 or larger by many sizes. Thats the advantage and cost difference

My 505 Kit came with 8 main jets 4 pilot jets and needle for that carb, Woods needles are way different than HD the taper is faster so it means when you jump on the carb the cv responds quicker.

So you can fine tune better...