1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sooty tail pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Fatboy128, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Here's a question that has a MAYBE answer that baffle me (no pun meant). A kid that works at the yard where I drive out of bought a used Kawa v-twin that has carbs.. The original owner pulled the mufflers off and tossed em. We don't know if the jets or needles were touched. The pipes are very very sooty. The bike backfires like nothing I've ever heard before. Whenever he lets up on the throttle the popping is crazy. All the time. I figure that the carbs were screwed with also. Sooty means rich. A kawa tech told him its all the pipes fault. Could that be??? I realize free flowing exhaust cause inversion that will cause popping but extreme soot??? My opinion is that the carbs have been played with in order to TRY to get them jetted for the open pipes. The popping is probably from the inversion of the exhaust gases but the soot too???
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

My first thought is if he wants/needs to put the mufflers or new pipes on, then do that first and then worry about the carb. No point in trying to tune a carb for a temp situation. It does sound like it will need some carb attention, regardless: might as well wait till the pipe issue is addressed.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Reversion, not inversion

When the valve timing allows the exhaust and intakes to be open at the same time on deceleration the engine starts sucking backwards and you get the pop, his exhaust is probably the culprit being open,
  4. Fatboy128

I agree but all the soot??? Definitely needs pipes replaced then the carbs checked. I am puzzled about the soot caused by the open pipes ;ike the tech claims
  5. hotroadking

it may be running rich, and combined with a lot of reversion sooting up.

I'd get a set of mufflers on it and see how much it helps then tune the carb
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Sooty pipes ! sounds like shwetty balls.?
  7. Fatboy128

~He's ordering a set of V&H then he'll get the carbs tuned properly. Thanks all!
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

The carb or carbs need to be gone through and is most likely plugged pilot jets. I had this issue on my Suzuki and found one of the carbs pilot jet was the problem. Backfiring means lean, not rich. Does this bike have nasty bluing on the pipe(s) near the head? Soot can also mean that he has nasty blow by the rings.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  9. Fatboy128

excessive fuel that doesn't burn in chamber will cause popping when it ignites with exhaust valve open as well as black soot in pipes as well as the black exhaust smoke. I will consider one cylinder too rich and the other to lean as possibly the cause
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I can rub my finger along the inside of my drag pipes and it comes out black. My pipes are a light golden color near the heads, but not blue.

I always thought that soot was a normal thing for any exhaust system - how much is too much?
  11. Blackprince66

Blackprince66 Member

Hi Everyone I'm new to this site I'm interested in Kawasaki vaquero motorcycles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Well, some of us have 'em, and other bikes, too. Any particular questions?
  13. Fatboy128

Well this old dog learned a new trick. The buddy added mufflers onto his ride and wa la ! No more popping and most amazing to me is no more black soot/smoke out of pipes. Seems problem solved. Well I'll be...
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Heh, yeah a complete exhaust system does make a difference... With just the head pipes you'd have a whole lotta reversion goin' on... Intake charge would be pulled right through the exhaust valve and pop in the head pipe and you'd also have exhaust reversing and filling the combustion chamber too...The only time the bike might run right would be if you ran it WOT all the time. The mufflers help reduce the exhaust pulses from going back up the pipe and into combustion chamber.There is a formula for figuring out the correct length for drag pipes but other than WOT drag pipes suck too....;)
    Red Rider likes this.
  15. joshbob

Oh, I've heard that, too, and I'm sure it's true. But there is one thing I think that is not taken into consideration, and that is weight. My bike weighs less than half of the Electra-Glide the motor was taken from. Plus I only weigh around 130 soaking wet. The correct length for drags on a stock 1200cc shovel is supposed to be 38". I cut mine to 32" mostly for looks and sound. The exhaust note is noticably deeper and I really can't detect a loss of horsepower or torque when I'm riding. I suppose that's one of the advantages of riding a lighter bike - but not everybody wants to ride a chopper.

I know that if my bike were tuned for optimum performance the drags would have to go and the ol' thang would probably scare the crap out of me LOL ;).
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Lucifer likes this.
  16. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Drag pipes woud work better than head pipes with the mufflers pulled off ;)
    I thought you put lollipops in your pipes Josh...If you didn't you should try a set...They're tuneable too...lol:D
  17. joshbob

I experimented with a 12" set of baffles on my pipes. Didn't like 'em. Then I cut them in half for a while and then took them out completely. Only difference I noticed was that the pipes barked louder every time I shortened them ha-ha. I have a set of "lollipops" that I fabbed up years ago ( 1/4" bolt welded to a 3/4" washer) and never used - was not convinced they would make any difference . . .

And getting back to sooty pipes - Tattoo sometimes will use very high octane gas in his 103 c.i. shovel and claims that after several tankfuls his 38" homemade drag pipes look much cleaner, a sort of off-white color, and of course the bike runs like a naked ape. Disadvantage is that the gas costs around $8 a gallon :eek:.
  18. hotroadking

Race gas has lead in it, that's why the pipes look white,
    I've done it a few times, sure kills off detonation, but yeah
    at the price per gallon it's expensive

The lollypops will work, it helps the pipes scavenge the
    exhaust pulses better, you'll pick up more torque across
    the board, and since you are not riding it WOT all the time
    more torque is good.

probably improve fuel mileage, turn your hair brown,
    raise yer nuts off the floor and get you laid....
  19. joshbob

Dang, I better get those lollipops installed quick!