1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

SOPUS in bed with Harley

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by ruffrider11, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

Shell U.S. CorpComm is sent to Shell U.S. employees

Dear Colleagues:

Get ready to experience the distinct rumble of an American icon as it rolls through our halls!

Shell Oil Products US (Shell) has entered into an agreement with Harley-Davidson Motor Company aligning two long-standing American brands that signify exceptional commitment to giving consumers the best possible experience on the road.

As a Harley owner and enthusiast myself, it is my great pleasure to announce this exciting new venture. Through this online alliance, Shell becomes the exclusive fuels marketing partner for Harley-Davidson and a proud sponsor of their 105th Anniversary celebration in 2008. Just as all gasolines are not the same, not all motorcycles are the same. Harley-Davidson customers have come to expect only the best – a top-caliber ride on a well-designed and manufactured motorcycle.

We are excited to show Harley-Davidson riders that Shell can provide them with the high quality fuels needed to get the maximum performance from their Harley.

We invite you to join in the excitement of this sponsorship by telling us your thoughts on how Shell can best demonstrate its affiliation with Harley-Davidson. How can we demonstrate commitment to Harley riders and enthusiasts? How can we help Harley-Davidson celebrate its 105th Anniversary? How should we communicate the benefits of using Shell fuels in Harley-Davidson motorcycles? Click here to enter your feedback. Please submit all ideas by November 30, 2007.

Shell and Motiva employees will have other opportunities to participate in this exciting new alliance through various promotions over the next several months. Watch your mailbox for a special delivery and a way to show your Shell and Harley-Davidson spirit!

As you all well know, a company does not remain a leader for more than a century without a high level of commitment to its customers and its product. We at Shell are proud to be partnering with a company that exemplifies that commitment.

Let’s hit the road!

Larry Burch
    Vice President of US Retail Sales and Operations, North America
    Shell Oil Products US

I got this in October. I personally use Chevron maybe we can start some discussion about fuel and leave the oil battle lay for a while :devil:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I was a Chevron guy too, until I rode yesterday with a some of retired highway patrol (CHP and NHP) motor-cops. Over coffee and breakfast (thawing time, really) they extolled the virtue of Shell over Chevron. While saying nothing bad about Chevron, and praising it compared to all but Shell, they said they got better mileage and performance from Shell. We weren't in a setting to get to specific, just anecdotal support for Shell V-Power.

One other thing they reminded me of was to try to use pumps that have multi-nozzles for filling up bikes. Because a manifold has to be used for single-nozzle pumps for the different tanks (Unleaded, U-Plus and Supreme/Premium), there is almost a gallon of piping length away from the nozzle - so if you pay for Supreme/Premium for your bike you won't get it until the gas clears from the last driver (who probably used less than the best gas). No big deal if you're pumping 20 gallons, but if you're pumping 3 it will matter more.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

4. chucktx

as far as fuels go, i use the best that is available at the time i purchace....i try to avoid single hose stations, but that is hard to accomplish at best.:)
  5. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

I can't remember the last time I saw a "multi-hose" setup in So. Cal. But, I've used Valero, Chevron, Mobil, and 76 as standard fuels and cannot really tell if one gets better milage or has more power than the other.:confused: I may have used Shell once or twice, but it's usually alot higher in price than the others and the stations aren't on my normal routes. 40,000 + miles on the bike now and never had a problem with the other brands.:D Are there any tests that show improved milage with Shell?
  6. chucktx

i would venture to say if there are tests out there, they may have been sponsered by the mfgs..........:D
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me of the HD Commercial where the bikes are gassing up and the guys says he was going to get a Harley and his wife wanted a Dinette Set

Harley - Dinette set
    Harley - Dinette Set

LOL

I read something where the Bureau of Weights Measurements have specific rules regarding single hose multi fuel pumps, they require the removal of .3 of a gallon before testing grade of the fuel, so it stands to reason that the most that would be in the lines from the previous fill up is less than a third of a gallon.

Also those pumps are used to blend fuel, the station really only carries high and low octane fuel but the pump blends the two into a 50/50 split that becomes a mid grade, They may be able to blend more of one than the other and you get a higher grade I've seen pumps with 4 or 5 options for octane.
  8. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

All the "majors" are called top tier fuels some dont put the detergent into all grades I believe Texaco was the first with System 3 to have all 3 grades with additive. Now Chevron owns them so its Techron now. Out west when I worked there we blended all 3 grades and loaded the trucks or pipline specificly there was no blending at the stations The fuel was all the same at the terminal just different additive tanks that the driver coded up for their load I am a strong believer in buying from majors somtimes you cant trust those MOMandPOP set ups The only one I will not buy is CITGO they are the enemy of my country
  9. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

You're right about that, Ruffrider. Chavez is an enemy of our country but we still have "movie stars" down there kissing his a$$ and degrading our country. You need to know that Chavez is starting to feel the loss of revenue and is changing the name of his stations from Citgo to Petro Express. I've already seen one change around here. Petro Express is 100% owned by Chevez and I won't buy their gas even if it is cheaper. Sorry for the rant but this is important. Now back to the orginial subject.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Hell I can;t remember seeing a muti-hose set-up in a good while , I try to stay with any maj brand except citgo , there last right before the lonesome mom&pop places & from the house it dependes on whtch way I go weatherIt's Shell Or murphy'S aka walmart gas One is about 6 mi one way & the other is about 6 mi the other way
  11. chucktx

the shell stations around here have multi hoses. and the closest gas for me is about a 30 minute ride, in any direction......and i llike it that way!!