1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by TopKat, May 4, 2009.

1. TopKat

TopKat New Member

I Have A 2002 Wide Glide with carb. At The Risk Of Opening Up A Can Of Worms, What's The Best Spark Plug?
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

I run autolite..and never had a problem in my 75 sportty..I sure would like to hear what other people say on this subject.....
  3. duke76

duke76 New Member

If its fuel injected you probably better stay with Harley, has something to do with a knock sensor and proper resistance of the plug, with a carb autolite is an excellent choice, I tend to shy away from champions as I have had issues with them a few years back. Todd
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

my 06 is also carbed....i run the moco plugs.....cheap enough. i am not fond of the autolites. the ones i tried were a bit difficult to get into the head. i didnt use them. almost like the threads were different. also they are an odd size for plug sockets....11/16..........that is my 2 cents.........
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I run the moco only now EFI, but used to run about any thing I could afford or that would make a spark in my younger days, between then and now was autolights or nepindenso.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Champion makes HD's plugs...
  7. duke76

duke76 New Member

I wondered about that, I have NGK in my road king but have a Thundermax so I am no longer using the knock sensor anyway. Todd
  8. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Had champions (HD brand). Never again... Stopped at an auto store, had them crossreference a set of plugs for my bike. 1.75 a piece... More 5.00 from HD and they are CHampions... Now running NGK... They seem to be working fine... Heard that Bosch are an awesome plug too... Forgot about Autolites... Guess they are a good plug too...:)
  9. chucktx

wow, the last plugs i got at the moco was about 3 bucks......maybe time to change them..............?!!
  10. TopKat

TopKat New Member

Plug Stuff

I Just Read That, Like We All Knew, The Standard Hd Plugs Are Mfgd By Champion, However They Are Mfgd To Specific Hd Specs And You Cant Get The Exact Heat Range From Any Other Commercially Avail. Plug. Plus, It Said 2005 And Up Hd's Have A Knock Sensor That Works Only With Std. Hd Plugs. It Will Not Work With Any Other Plug Including The Hd Gold, Hd Platnum Or Se (split Fire). It Also Said The Split Fires Ground Electrode Could Break/fall Off. Interesting. I Cant Say If This Is All True But Interesting Just The Same.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Autolite 4164 are the plugs I run.... in my 124

its the same plug as Hayche Dee sells but less moola in an auterlite
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I don't think the resistance between any of the standard replacement plugs, Champion, Autolite, NGK is enough to trigger any trouble codes, but I was told the fancy expensive iridium or platinum plugs have enough of a difference in their resistance that they can, I have no hard proof just been told that.
    The only difference in specs I can tell between Genuine HD plugs and Champions is the name written on the porcelain, they all have hot n cold plugs.
  13. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

i got an 02 wide glide

ok..... I use autos @1.98 for test runs/back ups. NGKs were really good to me and last year put in a set of irridiums my Amsoil buddy had. there was definitely a noticeable difference to me right away!!!!!! They are expensive, and I am going back to NGK this year. Like I said right away they were off the hook night and day difference in idle and pep out of the gate. by end of season I could not tell the difference from any other plug though. Not sure it may be just me but whatever. The Autos seem to be good for a a quick bit but to me champs and NGK, /HD just seem to make me feel like I won't have any problems. The irridium made me nervous because the tip is so small. I had one break off before I used it. Autos...well just never been something I used for a long periods of time.I got two set of them on the bike "just in case" and never had a problem with them but just don't use them long.
    Bike never knocks on anything with 93plus octane from Sunoco or Shell, 100% gasoline. Good Luck!!!!
  14. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Over the shoulder reading

I didn't notice but the wife was reading this post over my shoulder this morning and asked a pretty good question - How come my Harley gets new plugs every spring and her 06 fusion hasn't even had 1 taken out of it let alone all 6 changed?
    She didn't believe me that cars run better on older plugs!!:D

I stick with HD plugs because anything else voids your warranty;)
  15. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

what is

a warranty?
    :)
    Later :cool:
    Voo1
  16. fujimo

fujimo New Member

plugs

interesting aticle in may issue of thunder press,,,mech there says iradiumum,inum plugs run COOLER,,, has a whole bunch of graphs of plugs claims it proves it,,,, if this is true ,,,stands to reason person should use them,,,as air cooled moter is prone to heat ,,,, pops
  17. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

got em

Not gonna buy them again, for 20 bucks. I got a deal from the buddy who sells them. Out of the gait I did notice(thought I did better idle and more pep off right off throttle). end of season same as any other plug. AMSoil Dealer.
    who knows. I'll have to look for the article.

Later:cool:
    Voo1
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I run 4164 Autolite in my bike and its fuel injected.
    When I worked part time at a Indy shop we put Autolite in the Harleys and NGK in the metric bikes.
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  19. chucktx

you have to consider the indy shop ya worked at also..........:)
  20. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

already changed

Back to Hd/champ plug stuck them in this today. now all I got left is new a new front tire.