1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by spanky32354, Dec 12, 2005.

1. spanky32354

spanky32354 New Member

I'm thinking of upgrading the radio speakers in my 06 FLTRI. It comes with 5.25" 2 OHM speakers with a small magnet. Most of the ones I see advertised are 4 OHM and of course have a much larger magnet. I believe the larger magnet will fit but I'm concerned about the OHM difference. I'm hoping to find a pair at a reasonable price (under $50?). Any advice or suggestions?
  2. DODGEB8210

DODGEB8210 New Member

Are You Sure That They Are 2 Ohm Speakers? I Have Heard Of 2 Ohm Speakers Before But They Were Subwoofers. If The Speakers Are 2 Ohm And You Use 4 Ohm Speakers They Will Not Hurt Your Radio, But The Receiver's Output Will Be Cut In Half. For Example If The Radio Has An Output Of 20 Watts Per Channel Output @ 2 Ohms, And You Only Have 4 Ohms, It Will Translate To 1o Watts Per Channel @ 4 Ohms. As Far As The Mounting Hole Is Concerned, Some Minor Modifications May Need To Be Made To Allow For The Larger Magnet Diameter. Also Beware Of The Old Speakers Mounting Depth ( The Distance From The Mounting Flange To The Back Of The Magnet ) In Relation To The Mounting Depth Of Your New Speakers. I Hope This Helps.
  3. CD

CD Guest

J&M specializes in replacement speakers for this application. Page 1082 of the 2005 catalog or on line at www.dragspecialties.com When it comes to audio, bang for the buck is directly related to the $$$$ spent.....Ever listen to the difference between a K-Mart / Best Buy etc audio system and a system purchased at an audio specialty house? Also, most speakers are not water proof so be careful when choosing.
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

The new for 06 models are 2ohm rated Harmon Kardon units. The speakers were completely redesigned at the same time as the deck units. I've heard they are excellent and that you won't see much of an improvement if any with aftermarket....I honestly don't know as I haven't heard one of the new systems yet.

I do know that HogTunes has a top reputation for customer service, and have an overwhelming reputation for a top shelf product. They expect to have 2ohm units ready to ship for the new radios by February I believe. PEZ is the user name for the the founder of hogtunes..."by a bagger-for a bagger"...He is a member of of the v-twinforum, and harleytechtalk. He'll answer all the questions you may have. Pez has been in the car audio industry for decades and really knows his stuff.

I'm not affiliated with them...and have never met the guy...but over at the VTF, and HTT, several members have tried his products, and been extremely satisfied. When the occasional product defect has popped up, the purchaser has reported that Pez has sent replacement units out on 2nd day air freight to satisfy the customer.

http://www.hogtunes.com/
  5. spanky32354

spanky32354 New Member

Thanks for all the info. By chance I ordered a set of Hog Tune speakers but I think I may send them back and wait until the 2 OHM speakers come out.
  6. dinosdeuce

dinosdeuce New Member

I don't have any trouble hearing tunes at speed on my '06. There is no distortion at the level I listen to. It could be the quality of the new HK system. Sorry i can't compare the new speakers to Hogtunes, so just commenting on the quality of the new system.

Dino
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

The speakers I have on the '04 E-G are a little tinny. but with the wind noise and all as well as I'm wearing earplugs to kill the wind noise so I can hear the speakers I really can't see getting hi fi quality speakers without crankin' them up and further damaging the hearing. when the bike is stopped though the stockers don't sound terribly bad.