1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

spec building

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by voodoo1, Oct 24, 2005.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

WEll looks like Yamaha and Victory have taken to spec building ...I tried it myself with the victory models online!!! even gave me the cost and all thwe goodies listed out.They look good, every year at the manufacturer show in cleveland we get to in to check out the new models from most of manufacturers . Build it the way you want it (for the most part) the first time. Instead of buying a bike then replacing a piece here and a piece there..don't get me wrong it was like the color,chrome forks and the color of the engine,light options... but more than HD's here is what "we" put on it before ya buy it. wonder if'll cACTH ON or if HD will try something else..I thought maybe if you buy a V-twin and trade it in then you could get a spec. LOL.....out here it is a HDv twin for a HDv-twin for the most part...
  2. Goose

Goose New Member

I don't care for the porky look of the V Stars. I guess if you could skinny up the front tire, give it a little more of that wide glide look? I just don't like "low and fat" unless it's covered up by touring bodywork. I admit, I haven't been to the site to check all the combinations possible.

As for Victory, are they selling anything? We have a Victory dealer here and I swear I NEVER see one on the road! I hope the bikes are designed and built better than those friggin' Polaris ATVs, though. :rolleyes: I've seen some REAL JUNK with "Polaris" written on it. I've ridden a Victory or two. One, I rode up at Sturgis when they were quite new to the motorcycle market and the other was a Victory "SC" I rode at the dealer's here. I did quite enjoy the SC, though it looks pretty stupid and didn't sell well. It's no longer available. I don't really have an opinion on them far as built quality and reliability 'cause I just know so little about them. I don't know ANYone that actually owns one! They're still crankin' 'em out, so they HAVE to be selling 'em somewhere to somebody. :confused:
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Goose, I saw a used Polaris at the Harley dealer the other day. See a lot of the V-star and Road Star's as trade ins at the Harley shop. Have to agree I don't much care for the V-tar line either. Have not road a Polaris but would like to. From what I have seen they look nice from what they first started out as. I talked to a Yamaha saleman recently and he said that the new Royal Star was not selling to well. To bad as that bike really had the best potential of all of them.
  4. Goose

Goose New Member

i chat on the "two wheeled texans" site which has a LOT of posters. It was an outgrowth of the Houston Sportbike Network, one of the guys that was on that board that was more sport touring oriented. The site has all sorts of bikes/rider types so I posed the question, did anyone have any opinions of Victory motorcycles. I'm truely neutral on 'em cause I know so little about them even after they've been out half a dozen years now. I got this one very interesting response/opinion I thought I'd share....

5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I'll stick to my Harley's. ;)
  6. SK

SK New Member

I've got close to 100,000 miles on my Star and have never had even close to one problem with it. It still runs as good as it did the first couple of years I've had it. I prefer the rounded looks of the Star lineup to some of the boxier looking competition, but that's my preference. I've always liked the old Indian look (not the newer piece of over-priced crap). Yamaha must be doing something right as the majority of their lineup sells like hotcakes. I don't really care for the Honda lineup as they're too sterile to me, and the Harley's are just a tad too expensive. People can talk resale, but I don't buy a bike for resale..I keep em and just add to the collection.
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I think the Victory could be a pretty good bike. It's got a nice motor, decent brakes and the ability to order different painta schemes is neat. You can order a Harley with the custom paint program and different wheels as well. The nice thing about the Harley is that there are a bizillion shops out there and if you have a problem, help is not far away. I like the Vegas..it pulls pretty good..I'm not big on the forward controls..the Deluxe is a nice motorcycle. We've got a Victory dealer in town now..I hope it's a good shop. I remember when we had one Ducati dealer in town..you had to be pretty hard core to stick with them..the shop's service section is "huge" in the success of a new brand of bike.