1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Speedo problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by GreyBear, Nov 12, 2008.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    I have hit a wall here and need some ideas. Apparently the dealership and Harleys tech support have also. A couple of months back the speedo stopped working then worked erratically. Checked the diagnostics code and and it said the vehicle speed sensor was at fault. Changed that out cancelled the code and voila everything was fine....or not. it has done the same thing several times now and each time it also wants to die on me. It happens, cut it off and it is fine for 5 or 500 miles then wham it happens again. The shop hooked it up to the computer and it said VSS so that was replaced...again. 38 miles later same thing. Now the shop manager tells me they have a 07 dyna with the same deal. Freaking frustrating because theres no ryhme or reason to it and like I said it happens, pull over cut it off and cut her back on and fires right up and runs fine. If I had hair I would have pulled a lot of it out by now. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks, Ride Free.......
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Just taking a stab, but the first thing I would look for in an intermittent problem like yours is a bad ground.

Also, did the dealer consider replacing the entire speedo? I had one go bad on me a few years back that had similar symptoms.
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Ground Check

Thanks for the input Ken. Yeah first thing I did was check the ground, since it had been disconnected to install the VSS. Unforunately it was tight all the way. I know sometimes, people disconnect it from the battery terminal instead of the frame and screw up the threads on the battery. You do that it feels tight but with some vibration works loose. I asked about the speedo head but as of this morning they are pulling the tranny. Seems the new VSS and the tranny drain plug had more metal than they thought right so....thankfully I forked over the bucks for the extended warranty or all I would be getting AND giving this Christmas would be a transmission. Somehow I don't think the ol' lady or the grandkids would "feel the love" when all they got was a card with a picture of Papa Bear's new transmission, :roflmao: Hopefully they will know about that by the close of business today. But, I still don't see where a tranny (or speedo problem for that matter) would cause it to stumble and die at idle. *shrugs* will keep ya'all posted. Ride Free.....
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone looked for a wire that just might have been rub the wrong way & is getting naked in a small spot
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

throw it away and get one of those speedo's that attach to the handlebars of bicycles!!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Its possible that metal fragments in the tranny could interfere with the pickup sensor for the speedo. The speedo and sensor are integral parts in communicating speed to the ESM, which in turn determines ignition timing and EFI fuel delivery.

Maybe this is a good thing if this annoying problem brought a transmission problem to light. Better now instead of hundreds of miles from home when the tranny launches a gear.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Typically when the speedo sensor gets covered with metal shavings it does nothing more than make the reading irratic you'll be going down the road at 40 and it says 80 or 20.

Take it out, clean with a paper towel, don't use your fingers as it will have some very sharpe metal shavings and picking them out of your finger isn't fun. Put it back in then pull it back out a couple of times and you'll pull more metal shavings out.

BTW I suggest Redline Heavy shockproof as the oil you should run in the trans, stay away from HD Syn3, I see very little debris with redline.

Also the newer bikes have a single data bus so it's possible that something is reading the speedo failure but I doubt it's set to kill the motor.

Sounds more like a bad ground wire, or bad ignition switch or, bad wire from the main breaker to the starter positive bolt. I had one break and the insulation held it together, took forever to find the damn thing as it cut the bike off, backfired bang pow bam! then would fire right back up...

Either that or you have a faulty BAS (Bank Angle Sensor)
  8. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. HRK you hit part of the problem...a wire had broken and was held in tight enough to make connection until the exactly right combination of road conditions and engine vibration and it would stall. So I actually had two totally unrelated problems. The wire was causing the stall, but the speedo problem was caused by a tranny failure. The main shaft bearing had gone out hence the excess metal. Had the Harley Gods not caused the wire to make her cut out on me the tranny might have given it up somewhere on the Interstae at 80 or so. Parts are on order now all new bearing, new mainshaft and some other stuff. As to the oil I have used Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny since 10K. I figure if I had been using the recommended syn3 my tranny would have been scattered on the road many miles ago. Thanks again.
    Ride Free......
  9. Dukes

Dukes New Member

computer dumb

Hey whats up everyone! Dukes here has had a computer for about 5 years now but has never writen to anyone before . I posted a message right after I joined up . If you receive this message , let me know , if you don't i'm doing something wrong .