1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Spider Bite

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by GreyBear, Apr 19, 2007.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Been some time since I posted much. Been on the road a bunch and will write about that soon. Spent the last three weeks recuperating from a brown recluse spider bite. Talk about some nasty critters...he got me on my right middle finger (Only high note is I can flip ya off now innocently..."see where the spider bit me?" LMAO) Took enough antibiotics to choke a horse and had to have it opened up twice. I don't scare real easy, but that had me spooked. Something about changing the dressing and smelling putrification and being told that if it keeps going it will eat through the tendon and......
    At any rate, it is healing nicely now. It looks like a bad burn scar and folks I haven't seen in a while are freaked and think it looks awful. I guess it does but it is closed, theres new skin over it and I have full use of it. The Dr said he might want to do skin grafts so it isn't "such an ugly scar". I just laughed and said why make my finger prettier than I am. If it really is bad I can always have my Harley ring resized and wear it on that finger. <Grins>
    Hope everyone is doing fine and riding some. This is the first day the doc said I could get in the wind so I am off for a putt before the rain hits. Will catch ya'all up on the trip later. Have a good one!
    Ride Free......and stomp on every damned spider ya see!
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad to see ya back!!!!! those spider bites are nasty....somefolks loose limbs from them.....glad yours is on the mend.....
    cant wait for the road stories.....thanks for the update!
    chuck
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

goood to see your back , & like you said stomp every spider you can & have seen what they can do
    :cool:
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad you are OK those spider bites can be very dangerous. They are one of my biggest fears as I do home inspections and crawl under house every day.
    Hope your able to still ride.

Another spider to stay away from is the Wolf Spider

Here is a picture of a Brown Recluse spider
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

FLHT,

What's up with the wolf spider? There's plenty of them here in Central Texas, but never felt threatened by em'......bet I really don't want to know the answer, but are they dangerous? :(
  6. SK

SK New Member

I don't think the wolf spider is poisoness, they just look damn ugly and scary. Besides the brown recluse, which are kind of rare, the black widow is probably the most common poisoness spider. They generally avoid humans though.

Glad you're ok Grey Bear..those brown recluse are pretty nasty spiders. How'd you get bit on the finger? Guess there are worse places to be bit. :eek:
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

A Wolf spiders bit is not like the recluse but it will leave a nasty bite that can grow in size. Believe it or not the spider that is the most poisonous is what we call the daddy long legs. Their bit is worse than a Black Widow and they will attack and kill a Black widow to take their nest. The daddy long leg spiders are every where but their jaws are not strong enough to penetrate the human skin. Bet that makes you feel all warm and cozy. I kill every spider I can. I can kill more bugs with a can of raid than a spider will so who needs them.
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Glad you are ok, those spider bites can really set you back.
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

few years back a guy that was helping me build my house got bit on the face by a brown recluse....cost me a bunch in med bills, but he was Ok. Nasty little pieces of sh*t aren't they? Kill em all!! Glad to see you're back and on the mend!
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

my favorite is a close cousin to the brown recluse... it is the camel spider....DARN UGLY at best....and the poison does the same type of thing as brown recluse.....rots the tissue away. The biggest difference is the size of the spider....camel spiders can get to be inches across with leg spread of over 1 foot...... have heard of them significantly bigger then that.....and have heard of troops pitting a spider and a scorpian against each other to see who would win..... think last I heard....spider did. and for your viewing pleasure.... CAMEL SPIDERS - THE CAMEL SPIDER IS NO JOKE. FREE CAMEL SPIDER EGGS
  11. SK

SK New Member

Holy S***! It almost looks like a hoax. Hope like hell they're not in North America.
  12. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Are you shi**ing me!!!?? That ain't no spider! That's a damn spider crab! I've caught many of them off the coast of Jersey. If i saw one on land I would F'ing sh*t my pants!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:
  13. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

i dont like spiders and snakes.........
    got a nasty hole in my calf that came from a recluse, dam spider had the nerve to bite me while i was sleeping. since then, we have professionals exterminate the house.
    was grabbing some lumber, out of the wood pile on a house that i am remodeling, just this last thursday. talk about a wotto transulua.
    amazing how fast the body moves when your freaked out!!!!!!
    splatterd that critter all over the pile!!!

its that time of year here, spiders, snakes, scorpoins are all starting to come out......and skeeter's too

i live on an island, and my house is built on stilts,was sittin under the house trying to drink a beer, and those dam carpenter bee's were out in the hundreds,our house has been treated so they wont land but there still bothersome, after a box 12 gauge shells and a telephone line blown to shreads , we switched to a tennis racket, not a fun, butt did do the trick..........
    i know, iknow......bad TRG bad TRG.....

typical texan......hold my beer,and watch this!!!!!

TRG
  14. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Nice TRG, sounds like something I would do!
  15. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Brown Recluse

A friend of mine was bitten by a BR last year and was immediately sent to the hospital where she received some very heavy doses of anti biotics. Her house is spotless, everything in it's place, so clean you could eat off of the floor, yet she was bitten. She concluded that the spider had to have gotten in between the sheets of the bed and she was bitten sometime during the night on her shoulder. She had a large red spot on the shoulder the next morning and was very nauseous. After numerous anti biotics she recovered in about three months. Sorry to hear you were bitten and hope you recover soon so you can hit the Hiway.
  16. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Thanks

Thank ya'all for the welcome back and recovery wishes. I was asleep when the bas^%$d bit me. Now it just looks like I had a really bad burn. Wasn't able to ride while it was bad heck it hurt to sit quietly HD vibes would have been really uncomfortable. But, all well that ends well...
    Ride Free......
  17. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Ya know... it may be colder, we may have lots of snow, we may say "eh" every now and again, and we may have the Canadian Football League... but NO recluse spiders, NO tarantulas, NO black widows, NO alligators, NO scorpions, and NO poisonous snakes (except a few rattlers in Southern Alberta). And we got hockey too. :)
  18. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Saw the Dead and Pink Floyd in Toronto... Had a lot of fun Lots of L.S.D.!!!:)
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ok..........tmi!!!!:)
  20. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Hockey is good!!! :D