1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster 883 or 1200

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by troy boy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. troy boy

troy boy New Member

Im looking to buy a sportster 883 or 1200.What i want to know is as i am 6ft2
    and roughly 115 kilos in weight would a 883 pull along ok or would i need the 1200 to move me along.Or what other model would be better suited to my size.What sort of fuel economy would i expect out of the 883 and 1200 on h`way and city riding?Any info/suggestions greatly appreciated :D
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are limited to the Sportster family at your size a 1200 is a better choice IMHO.

At your size, if you are not limited to the sportster family then you have a lot bigger bikes that would fit your frame a bit better.

I would go to a dealer and sit on the bikes have them hold them upright and get a feeling how you would fit.

I'm similar in size and ride a Heritage Softail,

You need to find what is comfortable for you also you have a ton of aftermarkets that offer seats, controls, extensions etc to get it to fit you properly.

I would think anything without mid controls would give you better leg room, forward controls would be good.
  3. troy boy

troy boy New Member

Thanks for the info.I have been doing some searching and found i should expect between 35/45 mpg for a 883.Does that estimate sound correct.I stopped in to the local HD store and sat on a couple of different models.Checked on some of the different seats and h`way pegs saw what they were but would need to sit on a bike that has them fitted.Any way i will keep looking.Cheers again. :)
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

troy, that also depends on the weight carried how you ride, etc

Mid 30's to 40's should be pretty much on the money but you can do that with the bigger bikes as well.
  5. troy boy

troy boy New Member

Thanks for that.I reckon the 883 would be the go.Just a matter of finding one that ilike now. :)