1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster Engine Removal?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

A local guy would like to swap me his rocker covers and engine covers which are chrome, for mine, which are wrinkle grey. He wants to powdercoat them black, and I prefer the chrome. Mine are 04, his are 07. Do I need to remove the engine to remove these parts and how difficult would it be? It looks like the rear swingarm bolt goes through the rear of the trans. A solid days work to get it apart? Any tips?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

DO you have to take the engine out or can you just pull the tank & remove the rocker covers from there ? I have a 06 model book I can look tomorrow & see if you don't have a service manual let me know
  3. Roadster guy

I've looked at it and am pretty sure I can pull off all covers with the tank out of the way and the engine in the bike, but I am thinking of painting the engine block black to match the cylinders, then putting on the new covers. To do a proper job, I would need to remove the motor. While it is out, maybe a new cam, new clutch...
    Riding season for me is coming to an end and I am thinking winter project.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty large project. Anything powder coated will run hotter.
  5. Roadster guy

Yep, but this other guy does not seem to mind the heat. And I like chrome. Not too much chrome, like some over the top bikes, but just enough chrome. And I like the price because I'm cheap (poor?). Swap parts means to tax. And I hate tax.
  6. cowboy

just swapping parts has tax? hope it's a type-o on your part , as for the engine it can be painted in the frame , but with your winters up there , guess you'll have time for the R&R of the engine , I am painting parts before they go back on , & now have to buy another ring compresser , can't find the new one I bought when I did the top end on my E Glide a few years ago ,& my local indy closed his doors ,so can't borrow one from him :-(
  7. Roadster guy

Crap. Was supposed to say no tax, not to tax. Swap parts means no tax.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Sportsters run cool the way it is so I guess if it were me I wouldn't be concerned with heat if you want to powder coat.
  9. cowboy

I thought that's what ya ment to say