1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster Fork Seals

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Feb 16, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I just noticed today that I have a leaking fork seal and will probably replace it as soon as the new ones arrive.

Have looked through the manual, but have a question.

Do you reckon that the seal can be replaced without stripping the complete fork? I mean can I take the cover and dust seal out and then just hook the seal out and slip the new one in, or do I have to do the full strip down as shown in the manual?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can remove the lower section per the manual leaving the upper tube locked in the fork and it's probably easier as you won't have to figure out how to clamp the upper tube to keep it from rotating.

For reinstalling slide the fork out and use an appropriate piece of PVC from your local hardware store to tamp the seal in.
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Not quite sure what you mean there.

I was hoping to drop the complete fork unit out of the steering brackets/headstock unit, and leave the fork complete...IE do not undo the allen key right at the very bottom of the fork..so keep the two parts together

Then pick/hook the old seal out then slide it all the way up off the top section silver tube without having to take the top off the lower unit.

is that possible?
  4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

DUDE you have confused the crap out of me. Doing it the way the book says really isn't that big of a deal. I replaced both of my seals after my altercation with the Honda VAN LOL. Of course I had to replace the downtubes as they weren't exactly straight no more. I worked alone and had front stripped, tubes back in and seals installed and back on the bike in under 2 hours. Crack the crown nuts loose while it is still hooked in the trees DO NOT remove them at that point. Strip the wheel, brake and fender off the sliders. Pop the trees loose and slide the tubes out of the tree. After that it isn't hard at all. I switched to the Screamin Eagle fork oil (performance blah blah) I can't tell a bit of difference in the feel of my front suspension at all. Otherwise follow the destructions in the manual and it is a piece of cake. Also I slow tapped my seals back in with a small wooden dial rod or it would have gone faster than it did. The PVC idea is GREAT will have to remember that if there is a next time.
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I agree. it is not that big a deal...but if you can get away with just dropping the whole fork, popping off the dust cover, clip etc and sliding the new one back down then it would be a 15 minute job

just wanted to know if that was possible
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

neil, if there is no clip holding the seal in, and you can get to the other side with a hook. i dont see why you cant do it your way. be sure there are no burrs or scratches on the tube. as for installing the seal....a piece of plastic pipe...polyvinyl chloride...longer than the tube and a piece of wood and hammer should get the seal seated where it should be....let us know!
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

That was what I was thinking, There is a clip, but that has to be removed to get the top section out anyway
  8. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well the Clymer manual arrived last week, and the seals yesterday.
    The Clymer manual shows the seal being fitted in the exact way I was imagining, just slide it down the top half of the tube.

The manual shows a complete strip down...because that it was the manual is for...showing a complete strip down of each part.
    As long as the old seal can be picked/hooked out, there is no reason to strip it down. just screw a couple of self tappers into the top of the old seal and pull it out. maybe sleeve the slider first with a bit of tubing or thick tape to prevent scratches, but otherwise a quick job.
    Now just need to make /buy a stand to support the thing while dong the job.
  9. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

You know if you build a stand you have to post pics here for the rest of us right? Bike Talk RULES Man. LOL
  10. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

If I do then I will...even if it is a temp one....even a frame welded to the trolley jack with drop down legs...was the original thought
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

well it's a stretch but leave the upper fork in the bike, clamp it down, jack the bike
    now it's held steady, you can remove the seal, drop the lower fork and/or, then remove the upper, slide the seal down and use a piece of PVC pipe of the correct diameter to
    drive the seal in, put in the clip and mount and refill.
  12. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Did the job no problem without stripping the forks down, the old seal hooks out no problem.