1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster rear footpeg support removal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by nebassin, Dec 4, 2009.

1. nebassin

nebassin New Member

o.k. i have spent the last hour trying to find how to remove the rear footpeg
    supports on a 1997 sportster 1200c. i, (we), are making it into a solo bike for my lady. also i am going to lower it about 2". any way that i am cut, or change the front fork springs myself. also how to make so rear shock relocators myself. i am retied, so limited budget. thanks guys
  2. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Should be bolts that come through from the inside of the swingarm. Put a crescent wrench on the footpeg mount to keep it from turning, then loosen the bolt with a 9/16". (...If I remember right)
  3. nebassin

nebassin New Member

my sportster is a 1997. the bolt does NOT go all the way through the square swingarm.
    i did get the mount to turn, but it isn't loosening. i guess i could get the fire wrench???????? thanks for your thoughts
  4. Wideglide85

Hmmm. Could be an allen head bolt that goes in through the middle of the peg mount. Do you have the pegs off? Ya should be able to see a socket head bolt in there. I don't have a sportster anymore, but I still have the rear peg mounts somewhere. Just can't get at 'em to look right now.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

to lower the front you just loosen the pinch bolts on the triple trees & raise one tube at a time about 1,1/5 in then do the other side double check the mesurements have to be the same , I did my daughters sporty like that got about 2in lower for her & did the rear shock lowering kit , bike still handeled the same
  6. nebassin

nebassin New Member

already did the pinch bolts. dropped the triple trees down 1". i did them both at once, didn't know any diff., just a little panic moment. lol just got back from a fellows house that had a pair od WB blocks for the back, they'll do until i get some 11" shocks. right now still fighting with those darn rear footpag supports.
  7. cowboy

can you post a pic of what it look's like in that area might help us out to help you
  8. nebassin

nebassin New Member

right side, left side the swing arm is square tubing, and i don't see a way to remove the supports.
    bye the way, cowboy, i found that pics are pretty easy to put on. thanks

Attached Files:

9. Wideglide85

The peg mounts I have are off a '98. There's an allen head bolt through the middle of it that screws into the swingarm. Sorry 'bout the confusion, I'm old & I used to drink a lot. :)
  10. nebassin

nebassin New Member

thanks!!!!!!! i'll go try that. i can relate to the last part of your statement, whatever that was.
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, there is an allen headed bolt in the center of the peg support........
  12. nebassin

nebassin New Member

that did it. i guess i needed to adjust my readers. thanks again fellas. i know now where to go next time i can't figure something out.
  13. cowboy

glad we all could help you out , Hope it comes off easy let us know :D