1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster Transmission Lubrication

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by AZroaddust, Dec 16, 2010.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Hi folks. After a 15 month "vacation", I am baaaccckkk.

I have searched many threads, but would like some info specific to the Sportster. (in my case, 1997 XLH883).

I am changing engine lubricant to a synthetic, only because I have been lax in changing the engine oil and am riding very little since I relocated to the Houston area. (From Phoenix, AZ).

What TYPE of fluid & weight are some of you folks running in your sportster tranny? Please don't tell me the great benifits of Amsoil v. Bel Ray or Royal Purple etc. (As an aside the R.P. plant is just about 3 miles from me) I don't need a sell on any particular product, just the type of oil/fluid that works for you.

Thanks in advance. I'll be posting new pics of the latest mods on my bike soon. It's quite a bit different than it was 2 years ago!! It's nice to be back.

Merry Christmas to all!

AZroaddust
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to see you back , you must be over by the stinkadeana area now LOL , I'll have to look it up ,but does'nt the sporty share the same oil as the engine ?
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes, the sportster shares engine oil.............keep 50 wt and no problems should arise......welcome back and we all need do get together come spring time,,,,,,bout 30 days or so!!!!!!!!:)
  4. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Hey Cowboy. (A friendly name from the past I might add) . I'm N. up US59 in the wunnnerful berg of Roman Forest where we share the same ZIP code with New Caney. That says something by itself!

Acording to my manual, I have to drain the transmission then take off an inspection cover and fill it 1/2 way or something like that. If it shared the same sump should I have to do that? Am I making any sense at all?? (LOL). I'll go read the manual AGAIN.

Nice hearing from you again too!
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

On my daughters 04 there was a hose looking drain up under the left side just inside the frame unfold it & pull the plug & drain , & like chuck suggested we should get together come spring time for a ride, he's not that far west of you & I'am down south east a bit :cool:
  6. willymax4

willymax4 New Member

the sportster has two holes for oil, the engine oil goes in the oil tank on the right side of the bike below the seat, and the transmission oil is filled either thru the primary chain inspecion cover on the left side primary cover or thru the clutch cover, also on the left side of the bike.
    my 02 calls for 20w50 for the engine and a product called formula plus for the transmission. formula plus is a harley product and can be purchased at the dealership.
    by the way the transmission and primary share the same oil.
    the engine requires three quarts and the transmission/primary gets one quart.
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

This is right on my friend!!! Easy to change oils this way!!! :cool:
  8. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Thanks for the input gents . Willymax makes a good point though. My manual does call for 2 different fluids too, so the engine oil must not be shared with the transmission unless I'm missing something here.

With that said, is there a big evil or any major caveats in using 20/50 in both the trans and the engine? I saw somewhere that that was ok??

Yep. Do have a couple of you nearby too. A ride sometime sounds fun!

Thanks again!
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

All the Evo sporties I've worked on I have used 20/50 in both holes.
  10. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

There are two separate drains. One on the bottom of the primary, then the plug that goes up to the frame. They are separate. At least on my 96.
  11. willymax4

willymax4 New Member

the moco recomends using 20w50 oil in the engine and formula plus in the transmission/primary, however mobil 1 synthetic can be used in both holes with no negetive results.
    i use the formula plus for the simple reason i bought a case of the stuff and i'm trying to use it up. the sporty doesn't get many miles on it since i bought my bagger so i'll probaably using it for some time to come.
    some people that use synthetic in their transmissions claim it reduces the clunk when going from neutral to first, but i'm running synthetic 20w50 in the primary on my ultra classic and have seen no difference in the afore mentioned clunk. could be just the difference in bikes, i don't know.
    any way back to the original subject,an evo sporty tranny and primary share a common sump and the motor uses it's own oil in the tank.
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Harley used to sell "Sport Trans" Fluid for Sporties before they started selling the primary/tranny fluid for big twins...it was a 75-90 gear oil suitable for wet clutches...which is probably what the formula plus is...you can use any brand you want,just read the label and if it says suitable for wet clutches or limited slip dif additives on it you're good to go.
    I like to use engine oil in the engine and gear oil in the tranny.