1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster tuner kit question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mitchcole56, Feb 14, 2012.

1. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

Just received a CVP tuner kit for my 2006 XL883L. I dont want to install it till I get this question answered.The bike has the original carb and filter configuration and a set of Screamin Eagle pipes (I left the baffels in). I have adjusted the mix screw and got most of the 'sneezing' on the low and middle end out. The bike runs great on the high end.

Here's my question:
    On the jetting table that was sent with the tuners kit, it shows the #42 jet for the Idle and the # 170 jet for the main if the bike has a stock filter and exhaust.
    The Jetting Table also shows a#44 Idle jet and # 175 Main jet if the bike has a Stage 1 filter / Exhaust. I'm not sure if I should use the #42 idle and the #175 Main since I have the original carb/filter and the Screamin Eagle pipes or if I should stick with the #44 idle/#175 configuration recommended for the Stage 1 filter/exhaust. Not trying to complicate things, just want to get it right. Appreciate the help.

Mitch Cole
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to bike talk , we just did a 96 883 & went with the 44 & 170 bike runs great bottom to top
  3. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

Thanks for the info cowboy. I'm probably going to get at it tomorrow. I'll let ya know what I came up with.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

When you get the opportunity, get a K&N filter for that thing
    more air in, more air out more power... (well and a bit more fuel)
  5. cowboy

Ya a good air filter will help a whole lot
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

A K&N filter in the stock breather assembly only gives minimal increase in air flow,the stock backing plates are restrictive...a free flowing breather kit and a K&N filter will wake up the sporty and then you'll need to rejet...
  7. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

you can also just modifiy the original back plate with just a little air saw did my buddys and droped a k-n filter in it worked like a charm and not half as loud as one with the stage one backing plate . and a cv kit installed with the 44 slow jet as well
  8. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

Well, I did the deed. Installed the 44/175. Drilled out the vacuum hole in the slide. New spring. New emulsion tube. EZ Just mixer screw. EZ just on the idle screw. I feel as if I have a new bike !!! No kiddin. It even started better cold. I tweaked the idle screw. Set the mix screw as per instructions and took a ride out to Tybee Island. The Sporty is now a smooth machine in idle and at speed. I am amazed and ready to go into sales. hehehehehe. Thank you all for your input. It really helped alot. Now I hope the weatherman is screwed up and it doesnt rain like he said it was supposed to tomorrow. ;-)
  9. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Glad to hear your scoot is running good. Just put a CV tuners kit in my carb on the shovel and it performs flawlessly. More folks oughta know about CV Performance!
  10. baggerpaul

i would have never drilled that slide !!!!!!!!!!
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I drilled mine with the supplied 7/64" bit. Carb works good. In the kit, it says it's optional, but to not drill it out any larger.
  12. cowboy

I never drilled it out but have use the bit to clean the hole out by hand , good to here you both are up & running good :D
  13. baggerpaul

thats what ya do just clean it up so thet the edge of the hole is smooth . that lite spring pulls the slide up fast any way.