1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster Windshields

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by swampdragon, May 23, 2008.

1. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

After looking at the windshield poll, there seems to be a lot of pro-windshield guys here. And, the fact is, I've never had one.

On a 2001 Sporty, I'd want a windshield that did NOT have chrome support brackets and mounting parts. I'd much prefer BLACK painted parts on the windshield to go with all the blacked out parts on my lil piglet.

All the windshield I've seen in the past all have chrome mounting brackets, etc. Does an all black windshield even exist?
  2. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Don't know about a black windshield, but if you have to, you could disassemble a Harley windshield, paint it black and put it back together.
  3. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

After I posted this, I found a National Cycle windshield called Street Shield that has black hardware and comes tinted.
  4. steveb

steveb Active Member

Something to think about. If you are getting a windshield that is tall enough that you will be looking it thru it to see , tinted may not be good to see thru if you do any riding at night.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

That's pretty much identical to the H-D "Sport" 'shields I've got, just less expensive & without the H-D winged logo, which you can barely see anyway. One of mine has chrome hardware, the other black & they're both tinted.

If yours has the same type mounting bars that go back to the handlebar like mine, you can adjust the angle in & out to find out what works best for you. I just stuck a couple 9/16" box-end wrenches in my back pocket & went for a ride. Stop periodically, loosen the handlebar clamps, move the 'shield a little bit, tighten the clamps & try it again.

As steveb says, you want to look over the 'shield & that you should as it's not all that tall - mine are about chin level for me. But a small change in angle makes a big difference - at 1st, the buffeting behind the 'shield @ highway speeds wanted to rattle my glasses & take the sunvisor right off my helmet, but several trial & error adjustments took care of that.
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Glad you mentioned that again Art. I tried my HD standard height quick release shield a few weeks ago and nearly got my head blown off at highway speed. The Super Sport shield is about an inch or two higher, so I thought I'd sell the Standard size and try the Super Sport, but now you've inspired me to try the standard size again before selling it, just in case I can make it work better. The Super Sport is also a few inches less wide and designed for more of a "still some wind" feel. That's the last thing I really want on a superhighway doing 65 +
  7. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

They advertise the windshield as being a "light tint."
    [​IMG]

My biggest question is whether or not this shield is too small or not? On the one hand, I think it will match the size and shape of a Sportster pretty well. Especially since my Sporty is vivid black. On the other hand, just how much wind will it actually block?
  8. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

So after trial and error, where does the wind mostly hit you now?
  9. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

got the street glide stock low tint for the local riden, and a e-glide tall clear for the long haul 2 min and its swaped
  10. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Goes up over my head & around my torso, which was the whole goal.

And if it starts raining, I can tilt my head down a little bit & the sun visor on my helmet will carry nearly all the rain right over. I wear an open-face helmet & glasses - don't particularly like rain in my face. Oh, my arms & legs will still get soaked & I don't ride in the rain if I don't have to, but we get plenty of "pop-up showers" which can catch you by surprise.

I attached an older photo of my '95 bike - "Hypercharger" air-cleaner is gone & I've made some other changes, but the windshield is still the same way you see it. So is the handlebar setup - stock bar on 4" risers & the Corbin seat is the same. But what works for me will not work for everyone - I'm 5'11" & the previous owner of the bike is 5'4", so the windshield angle that worked for him did not work for me.

Attached Files:

11. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Sweet. So it sounds that I should be OK with the Street Shield. It seems to just be a matter of adjusting it right.
    My biggest goal is to find something that cuts down on the wind a little so I don't get so tired...but yet...not be so big that it overwhelms the look of the bike.
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Anyone ever heard of spray paint?:roflmao: Works on chrome, too - check out my Jeep in the gallery if ya doubt it. May need a touch up now and then, but not as often as ya may think.

Adapt, improvise and overcome.
  13. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

I have painted chromed parts before. But, I always sanded off as much of the chrome as possible first.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest National Cycle ,but I see you found it. I try not to buy HD unless absolutely necessary, you'll find a lot of HD accessories are made by other companies with the HD logo and inflated price attached.
    When you install the wind screen adjust it for height and angle so you are looking over it and the wind isn't trying to remove your glasses and helmet. Then the only time you'll be looking thru the wind screen is when you're doing some canyon carving and that is only done during daylight hours anyway,right.. Have fun...Ride Safe.:devil:
  15. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Yep. I noticed the quality of my Progressive Shocks are much higher than the ones that Harley put on my bike. I don't have a problem with after market parts.
  16. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Those windshields dont look big enough to be much help....and as far as the hardware thing, I have to agree on the spray paint. Black wrinkle finish would be friggin cool !
  17. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

18. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member