1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster wont start

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by edisonac, Jul 26, 2010.

1. edisonac

edisonac New Member

Hey guys im brand new to this site and looking forward to checking things out. Anyway i need help. I was outting apes on my sporty and new blinkers. After finishing the wiring for the apes i jump the gun and tried to start it to see if all my connections were good. It crank for sec then stopped. All lights still on horn blinkers ect. Now i hit the start button and nothing happens. I think one of the bare blinker wires hit the frame while it cranked and shorted something but i cant figure out what. Thanks for any help.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the best thing to do is retrace all the steps that led to the problem. time consuming, but you will find the problem......also check the breakers/fuses..........let us know!
  3. edisonac

edisonac New Member

That's the thing this is my first Harley. Many of bikes but first hd . I can't locate any fuse box or anything to check for blown fuses. It doesn't even look like it has any. Just some relays and stuff . I going to.get the manual tomorrow so that should be a big help or at least a shop. I'm not to mechanical but I'm learning. I'll let you know tomorrow or wed what happens after I cruise through the manual. Thanks for Tue response.

4. chucktx

i hope your getting the factory manual. the aftermarket ones arnt the greatest in my opinion. good luck with it.........and let us know!
  5. edisonac

edisonac New Member

Yes I am going to the dealer in the morning to get the factory book. So are there fuses in thus bike? If there are where are they what am I looking for and do I just change them like a regular fuse? I see all the plugs and connections next to the battery but no fuses. Am I looking for something that's not there ?
  6. chucktx

if memory is working...................there are circuit breakers mounted on the rear fender under the seat......hope someone chimes in here. may be a couple of inline fuses also. they will have a wire going into a large circular tube, and a wire coming out the other end. they unscrew.
  7. whacker

whacker Active Member

My 75 sportty has them under the seat.A wireing diagram will help you alot.
  8. edisonac

edisonac New Member

Well I went and got the manual this morning , saw where they were hiding 4 15amp fuses. I replaced the one that blew rewired the apes and she fired right up. Looks good too. Thanks for the help guys
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I will second that the AfterMarket ones aren't that good. That is why I finally got fed up and paid the money for the Factory one.:D