1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sporty 04 Header Pipe

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Jan 29, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

How does an 04 Sportster header pipe clamp fit to the factory header pipe?

Is there a snap ring at the 'head end' of the header pipe or does the clamp ring have to be removed from the outlet end of the header pipe.

I have had my pipes off three times now in the last few weeks, and always thought the clamp had to come off over the far end of the pipe, but something I read implied that there is a snap ring at the header end of the pipe that can be removed, so you can take the clamp off from the head end of the pipe.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

when you slide the clamp down from the header end, you will see a snap ring....use a set of flat snap ring pliers to remove it.......hope this helps!!
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Have had my exhausts off three times in the last few months, never once noticed the ring, assumed it was a welded ring at the head end and the collar had to come off the other end.

I just received a new set of pipes in the post last night (Samson XL2-874) and they did not have the collars on them, so wondered what to do. Cant fit these pipes till I get the Forward Control Kit anyway.