1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sporty clutch or trany

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by viking, Apr 14, 2013.

1. viking

viking New Member

Hi guys . Just picked up an ironhead sporty 1977. Motor runs like a dream but when you put it in first gear it wants to bump ahead with the clutch in. previous owner says the clutch is adjusted properly but it does not help.I just got the bike today so have not done anything yet but just thought I would ask. Anyone had this problem? Viking
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

grab the service manual and adjust the clutch your self also make sure the primary fluid is not over full that will affect clutch
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

adjusted right by who... LOL

Get the SM like Paul says it gives you all the tips and tricks and settings
    just like an HD tech to do this stuff, you'll save more than the $ spent on the
    manual in savings over the labor on your first service alone..
  4. viking

viking New Member

I got a manual with the bike and the pages look well used in the drive line section. I geuss this is a bad sign lol. Oh well I like a challenge.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Probably means the previous owner did some of his own work LOL. Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch. No big deal; follow your service manual. Make sure your fluid levels are correct - with bike standing straight up.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

MIght want to check the clutches themselves if you're in there make sure nothing is worn out, yeah I'd say if he's spent a lot of time in the driveline section you may have some opportunities for education LOL

I'm not sure on the sporty for that year but for a while HD had a spring plate in the center of the clutch, it was two steel plates with tiny springs between them, they would eventually fail and then you would chase your tail trying to adjust.

So if you can't get it to stay adjusted using the proper techniques then I'd look into pulling out the plates, that design was replaced with an additional clutch plate eliminating the spring plate. IF it's in that setup...

Again some sportophile would know better than me..
  7. viking

viking New Member

well I got her apart today. drive sprocket nut was loose.The output shaft bearing is not even there it is all gone.clutch is still on I will pull that tomorrow,looks like the basket bearing is bad too.The output shaft with everything removed from the sprocket side(no bearing just the race) can move in and out about 1/4 inch. Could this be normal with no seal, sprocket and nut to pull it all together? I am hoping to do just the bearings but we will see what I find when I finish getting it apart.