1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sporty stock rpm rating

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tim, Oct 21, 2007.

1. tim

tim New Member

Hi Everybody,

I got to wondering my 06 883 sporty is rev limited at 6.000 rpms, since i have Ken's stage 1 and pipes and highflow A/c this thing pulls right up to the rev limiter very quickly thru the first 3 gears with every indication of having a lot left beyond the 6k. I saw the MoCo has a emission legal Screaming Eagle ignition for this bike and the only difference between my stock ignition and it is the RPM limit, 7000 for the Screaming Eagle. Can the stock valve train handle the extra 1000 rpm without any work such as heavier valve springs etc. Also i do not know if i would buy this particular unit, there are alot others out there.
    Tim
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

What's the need to go past 6K rpm anyway? There's no extra power at that rpm range with a stock bike, and you're tempting fate. (just asking) BTW, I would assume the stock valve train would handle it, although I'm not positive.
  3. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

probley should think about heavier valve springs, might start having "valve float" not sure about the rest of the engine:eek:
  4. tim

tim New Member

Curiosity,I am just trying to figure out why they would sell an emissions legal ignition that only changes the rpm limit to 7k and keeps the stock advance curves the same as the stock unit.I think MoCo's intent would be to install it on a stock bike because it is emissions legal. Thus the question can the 06 883 engine handle the extra 1k of rpm with out any mods to the valve train?
    Tim
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I recall hearing that this SE ignition keeps the same stock curves down in the lower RPM range but up higher is where it might pick up a little bit. The evo sporty engine can handle the higher revs but I don't think you will find (or feel) any extra power that high up. It might be worth it to pull out a couple extra rpm but I wouldn't run up to the full 7000.

Just a bit of speculation, but maybe the Moco probably keeps the rev limit down on their factory models to keep people from over revving before the engine gets broken in. Otherwise the urge to max it out on the first day could tear up the motor before it had a chance to get everything seated.