1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sputter N Pop

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by CFH60, May 20, 2011.

1. CFH60

CFH60 New Member

Ok I have a 2001 FLHTCUI. I just installed Vance and Hines Big Shots, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and a Power Commander III. I loaded the map closest to my setup. The bike idles fine. It seems to have more power out of the hole. But it pops a sputters when I'm slowing down. Also the throttle response at mid range could be better. Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks.
  2. CFH60

CFH60 New Member

Uhh, never mind. I just realized in my haste to be ready for this weekend I forgot to replace the exhaust gaskets. I'll bet dollars to donuts thats the problem.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I hate that when that happens......:gah:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

also, be sure the clamps holding the mufflers on are torqued to factory specs.
  5. CFH60

CFH60 New Member

Will do, thanks.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

A day late to this conversation (what else is new) but the No. 1 cause of decel pop whether carb or injected is exhaust leaks. I personally replace the exhaust gaskets every time I pull the pipes since they crush into place and often don't seal well the second time. Maybe overkill but to me it's better than having to pull the pipes off again.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Yep! Cheap insurance too.
  8. CFH60

CFH60 New Member

Ok Kenfused
    That leads me to my next question since I replaced the gaskets now. As you say they crush into place. How much torque? Another thing I never noticed. Do the flanges snug all the way flush or is there a gap between them and the jugs after they are torqued down?
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I have also found that after initial installing a new set it is good to go back and retighten them after you put a few miles on.
  10. CFH60

CFH60 New Member

That would make sense. I think the heat would soften up the gaskets initially. Though I'm no mechanic.
  11. Fatboy128

Yep! Must do.
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont have the specs handy, but the best tool in your box is gonna be a factory service manual............the parts manual is a bonus!!!! great to have also.....
  13. JohnnyBiker

I would get rid of those crappy crush gaskets. I use a different one that are so much easier for install....The SE ones......:cool:
  14. Fatboy128

I used the SE ones and for the Twin Cam they are crush type also.
  15. JohnnyBiker

we might be talking about different ones then....The ones that I use do not crush, they are a donut type gasket. I am sure that they crush somewhat but not like the stock ones.......I would have to get the name of those because the wife goes and get them for me because around here I can only get them at a place that I won't shop at......:rolleyes:
  16. more power

more power New Member

I'm a little late to. I like to know to. I have a bad habit of reusing exhaust gaskets. Was told at one time to "foget abot it"
  17. JohnnyBiker

:confused:
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Many on here I know will agree but never re-use an exhaust gasket. If you do you'll wind up just having to tear it off and replace em. Harley, makes the best ones.
  19. CFH60

CFH60 New Member

Well, I put in the new gaskets. Torqued them down to factory specs. Torqued down the clamps and still pop pop sputter pop. Me thinks I'm running too lean. What say you?
  20. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If you fixed the exhaust leak and still getting decel pop pop, you're too lean...check for intake leaks too
    Here's a bit of info from the Power Commander website to adjust maps without going to a dyno tuner....hope it helps

You may notice that we have a map specifically for "Brand A" slip-on exhaust and another for "Brand B" slip-on exhaust. Although the difference between the two maps is likely to be very small, these difference will increase the optimization for that given combination. If you have a "Brand C" exhaust and we do not have a specific map, you should find that "Brand A" or Brand B" maps will provide a good improvement on your bike. If you have a Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP computer, you can upload alternate maps or make changes to the existing map using the Control Center software and USB cable supplied with your PC. (Detailed Software tutorials and quick reference software screen shots are available on the CD-ROM or web site).
    If you do not have a computer, you can change the fuel curve with the faceplate buttons. This is a simple adjustment that can move the fuel curve richer or leaner in each area of the map. (Please refer to the paper installation guide or adjustment video on the CD-ROM).