1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Squeaky Front Brakes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HAMSHOG, Dec 12, 2007.

1. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Need some help. Had new pads put on my 2005 FLHRCI (RK Classic) a month or so ago. Can't get them to stop sqeaking at low speed. Just when your coming to the stop. My mechanic put some shims in between the pad and the caliper. Still sqeaks... :wtf: Anybody know what's up? Appreciate any help.. Thanks!!

:banghead:
  2. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I don't remember exactly but a friend of mine put in brake pads in and they squeaked as well. It had something to do with the type of pads used. He took them out and replace them with another set of different pads and that solved his squeaking problem. Sorry I couldn't bring you more detail but I sure you've ask in the right place. :D
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I used to have a bit of slow speed squeek with the factory pads....replaced with the Lydal Z Pads.....GONE!!! along with the dust!
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I've heard that reversing the rotors so they run backwards may help, this has been done a lot of times, also you might try lyndall racings brake pads they have great pads, better stopping power and no or little brake dust

Lyndall Racing Brakes

Get the golds, but pull the front wheel and have him reverse the rotors so they run backwards and see if that helps.
  5. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Thanks for the input. Getting tired of drawing attention at the stop lights. I don't notice other bikes sqeaking. Hopefully I can get my mechanic to make it right. :)
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

meant to say get the lyndall z pads, no break in period
  7. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yepper, another vote for LBR’s. Just put a set on my bike, some of the best pads I ever bought.
    HAMSHOG, find a long empty road and do several hard stops from a moderate speed, they maybe just glazed and or dirty.

How ya doing HRK?
  8. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

I just dropped the bike off at my mechanic. He's going to reverse the rotors and see what happens. He says 50/50 chance it'll work. If not he's got the z pads and I'll try those. Thanks again for the info.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if ya go with the lbp's, you will love them,,,,,no brake dust to contend with and the wheels stay pretty clean.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

You'll like the LBP good stopping power & no dust to clean
  11. RKBud

RKBud Active Member

I had the same prob with my 06RK. I'm not sure if the slots are the same on you bike but I was told that my rotors and slots reach a resonant frequecy that makes the noise. I had the rotors swapped from side to side used the same pads and it stopped the noise....when going forward. It still squeals when I'm rolling backwards but I can live with that.
  12. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Had the rotors reversed and the noise is almost gone.:gah: I'm going to try some emery cloth on the rotors next, and if that doesn't work, new z pads. Thanks for the additional info though.
  13. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

if you have access to a dual orbital sander that will be better than emery
  14. hunter2050

hunter2050 New Member

have a 08 fatboy the brakes do the same way:gah:
  15. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

People seem to like the z pads from Lyndall. I turned my rotors around and it made it a little quieter, but didn't stop it completely. I'm going to try sanding the rotors next.
  16. hunter2050

hunter2050 New Member

my hands keep going num some people think I need to get taller :confused: :confused: handle bars
  17. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

You obviously have never come to a stop next to me! I just sorta live with it and figure if they ain't sqeeking a bit they probably aren't working right.:)