1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage 1 Tuners Kit help

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by dirtydawg, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dirtydawg

dirtydawg New Member

Well first off just want to say hello to everyone, I am new to the forum. I just installed the CVP stage 1 tuners kit and mixture screw. So here is what I have.

When I disassembled my carb it had a 45 and 180 installed, with stock air cleaner and exhaust. They also had the 3 washers on the slide needle and the moron who did all this drilled out the 2nd hole in the slide, it was way too large. Some one had already adjusted the mixture screw, I did not pay attention to how many turns out. The stock air cleaner was filthy, I dont know how the bike was getting any air.

I have installed Big Sucker but still have stock exhaust. Installed 48 idle and 195 main which i think is right from instructions that came with kit. Luckily I had a new slide on hand and installed it as well. Installed EZ screw and other parts from kit. Started the bike took it for a ride and it seemed to run pretty good. My problem is with the mixture screw. After getting the bike nice and warm, came home and attempted to adjust mixture screw. It does not matter where the screw is, seated, 2 turns out or 4 turns out, it does not make a difference.

So finally to my questions. Even though I have stage 1 filter but stock exhaust should I go lower on my idle jet? Should I get a new o-ring,spring and washer? Any suggestions. Also when I was riding, no popping and seemed to get great throttle response no matter what RPM range I was in. Any help appreciated.

Johnny
  2. dirtydawg

dirtydawg New Member

By the way this is a 2004 FXDP Dyna Defender.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What is your bike doing that make you question that you need to change something? If your set up is running well with the exhaust, and air cleaner, leave it alone. Have you taken the plugs out to take a look at them to see what your needs may be?
  4. dirtydawg

dirtydawg New Member

My only problem was with the mixture screw but after a little reading, I learned some carbs wont change no matter how many turns out you have it. I installed per instructions and have no problems. I just rode 1200 miles from Missouri to Florida without so much as a hiccup. Runs like a champ, got 42-44 miles per gallon on the trip and my bike has 65,000 miles.