1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage I Carb upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bk166, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bk166

bk166 New Member

I would just like to share this with everyone. When I bought my 05 Electraglide from HD, I had Rienhart True Duals put on and was told that they rejetted to compensate. That is the only time HD has worked on my bike. I grew up with wrenches in my hand so I recently did the 95 cubic inch upgrade and in doing so, bought the Stage I rejetting kit from Harley Davidson Perfomance. What I found was the Idle Air Mixture was turned all the way in and seated, this was obviously done at the factory because it still had the plug in. I changed the Idle jet from #45 to #50 and changed the High Speed from #195 to #200 and also changed the needle. Once that was done and the Idle Air was set to 2 1/8 out, it is a completely different bike. No idle problems anymore and no mid-range sluggish feeling. It also eliminated that cough associated with being too lean. I have put about 200 miles on the carb up-grade and checked the plugs three times and they look good. Just wanted to share this and remind everyone that factory is not always right.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Great to hear you got your ride running perfect! I have a very similar set up on my FLST - its a 95" build that I did myself with similar jetting utilizing the same kit. Keep an eye on your plugs, and if you start getting any carbon fouling drop the main down a size.

I don't normally say much in defense of dealers, but in all fairness they are slightly handcuffed when it comes to properly tuning carburetors. That mixture screw is plugged and preset because of EPA requirements, so for the dealer to unplug it to adjust falls under "tampering". Good thing its easy enough to access yourself, which really brings that carb to life.
  3. bk166

bk166 New Member

Just curious, what main jet did you settle with? Did you find the #200 to be too much?
  4. kenfuzed

I was running the #200 until I changed to my experimental baffles, after which I switched back to a #195 main. The smaller main picked up a couple MPG without going too lean. It all depends what type of pipes and aircleaner you are running.
  5. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

2 1/8

Usually more than 2 turns means another size up in jets.
  6. Cracker

Cracker New Member

What kind of MPG are you getting with the 50PJ & 200MJ?
  7. kenfuzed

Assuming that question is for bk166, but on my similar setup (95" w/ stage1 and 50-195 jets) I'm getting 40 mpg on average when I het the open road. Of course around town where I'm cracking the throttle between lights its not always that good, but the "seat-of-my-pants" factor is worth that trade off :D