1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage One kit problems

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by thirdeye, May 25, 2011.

1. thirdeye

thirdeye New Member

I need help!!

I bought & installed the Stage One tuners kit (re-jetting kit) for my 2005 1200 Sportster.
    I took much care,taking everything apart, and in reassembly.
    I installed the .45mm pilot jet.
    I have a Hypercharger air cleaner on the bike, but have not yet installed new slip-ons.

The bike started up after an initial choke, and is still running.
    I also purchased the larger thumbscrew idle adjuster(the EZ-Just Mixture screw).

With the bike warmed up, and idling at 900 rpm, I can screw in the idle mixture screw all the way in, without the engine choking, or coughing, or even rough running?? I don’t think that you are supposed to be able to do this?? Does anybody know why??

After I have adjusted the screw out 2 to three turns, then if I am lucky, I can get the engine from backfiring, and spitting(carb farts) when going from idle to a rapid acceleration ? No matter where I turn the screw(in or out) there is no change in the idle rpm, or roughness?
    Today, after trying several times, I think that I had the idle adjusted properly.
    But then, after several test runs, I discovered that when cranking the throttle, the initial response is fairly fast...but upon reaching around 4,000 RPM, that the bike hesitates, and it feels like is is starving for fuel??

Anybody, anywhere got any ideas??
    Please help! My sporty is now running worse than it did before the stage one Kit?

Randy Brandon
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

check carefully for air leaks around the carb boot, use an unlit propoane tourch with the motor running and hold it around the carb boot and intake manifold area. if you don't have a tourch you can use carb cleaner and sray in those areas, it just messer, listen for the motor to pick up rpm's.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i wouls start where harleyslr said , also doubls check your choke , if you took the cable( choke) off the carb double check to make sure it's hooked up right & working right , pull it out & look in the carb & push it back in & see if it's right , but start with possable air leaks first
  4. thirdeye

thirdeye New Member

Thanks guys...i will be checking all of the potential problems that you listed.. And will let you know what i find.... Thanks again!!
    Clicks, randy
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

You are adding a heck of lot more air with that HC on. I would try a 46 pilot and leave the main jet alone for now. Your problem is on the pilot circuit. If you did not do any other modifications to your bike there shouldn't be a need to change the main jet...JMO
  6. bg3075

bg3075 Active Member

It does seem like a lot of guys have problems with the CVP Idle Mixture screw. What's up with that?
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I do not think that it is the kit per say........Have you done the other checks that have been suggested???

I think that you have added too much air to your system...Fatten up the pilot step by step until you are happy. (Just a note) Your pilot circuit is good for only about a 1/4 throttle, after that, you're pretty much on the main...
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

What would you base this on? The EZ-Just is simply the stock mixture screw redesigned to allow for thumb adjusting. Therefore are you trying to say that millions of original factory mixture screws were faulty in some way? The EZ-Just has been in production for over a decade without issues... so What's up with that?!
    :wtf:

Randy, I will be glad to assist you in getting your bike running correctly and I thank all those that have added to this message thread with sound advice.

Hyperchargers are known to contribute to intake leaks and the vacuum actuated flaps can fail. To isolate the problem try disconnecting the vacuum line from the hypercharger and seal it off so there is no vacuum leak. Also you could block open the hypercharger flaps for the test run. The problem you describe sounds like a vacuum leak so i would start by looking at the hypercharger and the manifold fitting.
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JMO: mostly it's the guy doing the tuning. The EZ screw is just that made to make turning it easier for the tuner, If you're not happy with the EZ put the stock one back in and see if it works better. like I said Just My Opinion
  10. thirdeye

thirdeye New Member

Ken,

The vacuum leak sounds like it is the first thing that I must check on, and will do that shortly to confirm or unconfirm the problem.
    Thank you all in advance, there are a lot of possible causes, and I am in the process of eliminating them, one by one...

Thanks again to all.
    Really appreciate your sage advice..
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I think your right on HarleysLR, the nut behind the screw :D:roflmao:

But seriously I've had the whole CVP kit with the EZ idle screw and both work great. There are a lot of variables that can contribute to poor running and idling. The kit really improved my 01 Springer with the 95 build. :)
  12. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

yep, I have the complete kit in my carb less the EZ adjust screw, I've never found it that difficult to use a small screwdriver to adjust the screw. On my wifes bike I have a complete carb rebuilt by Ken from back in the early to mid 00's, it has worked flawless on 2 EVO's and is now on a TC88.