1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage one kit question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ruffrider11, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I want slip on mufflers for my 2000 fatboy should I get a stage one carb kit first or do it all at once
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it would be best to do it all at once, but time and money doesnt always allow for that. doing the pipes first is best,then the carb, as you may need to adjust the carb for the better airflow through the engine. changing the exhaust mildly doesnt normally require carb changes....have fun and let usknow how you like it!!!!
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

ruffrider11 either way your going to have to adjust the carb/EFi if you can I would do both at the same time , just to save on exter work :D
    :cool:
  4. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I would install all on the bike at the same time....if you can not afford all at the same time, buy what you can afford (and want) now.....put it in the garage, then when you have the money for the other part of it, get it...once you have it all, put it all together. THis is what I did...tho I did put a couple miles on ness big sucker filter and free flow pipes before I changed the map.....never have heard a bike pop, splutter, and get HOT as fast as it did that day...thankfully, was only about 3 miles that I had to go for my laptop to program the power commander for a map. IF you choose to install bits and pieces, go with the air filter first, (no matter how much air CAN go through, still restricted by the pipes), then the carb...can always slow it down due to pipes...then change the pipes and bring the carb back on line with the new free flow air pattern! (course, I AM a nurse, not a mechanic, so look for better answers!!):D :roflmao: good luck!
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If you are only changing the mufflers then you may get away with not tuning the carburetor. To be on the safe side you should be ready to tune the mixture and rejet, especially if your bike is already running lean to begin with. The last thing you want to do is run your bike too lean, which could lead to major overheating and eventual damage.
  6. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

Thanks to you all I guess I will save up and get-er done all at once Would anyone go Vance and Hines instead of Harley slip ons? Is it worth the cost?
  7. Clem

Clem New Member

V&H and Harley D. are pretty close - relations wise - and I'd say the V&H would probably be a bit better product - more specialized manufacture than some others that have a factory that can make a muffler, so they do.... V&H is precision and engineered 'cause they like to do it...

Also, if you need to do one, then the other - the exhaust change has the most effect on breathing and the atmosphere at 14.5 lbs per sq in. has greater force to push air into the intake than the piston does pushing the exhaust out. So, you could get away with doing the exhaust first, then the intake. But full benefit of either requires the other. You're going to run a bit lean but with a carb, you have that adjustment to good degree over having EFI.