1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage one kit

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Merlin, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Merlin

Merlin New Member

Getting ready to purchase a new HD Ultra Classic and unsure about adding stage one kit. HOw much HP increase can I expect and how much increase can I expect without changing stock pipes?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are going to do it , do the whole thing, the best bang for the buck on performance upgrades, Ness Big Sucker or HD SE Air filter Kit, a set of good slip ons like wild pigs, v&H, khrome werks, etc. the reflash the ECM or put on a DFO (Digital Fuel Optimizer) to add fuel, or rejet if carb.

Your results may vary but it will pick up both HP and TQ>
  3. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Cracker

The new Delfi fuel injected models run great with the SE air cleaner a set of good slip ons and the stage 1 download. I'm not certain what the exact number gain is but am certain that the bike will run better and provide plenty of power. I think it's the best bang for the buck.
  4. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

According to the 2004 Harley Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories and Genuine Motor Parts catalogue...........

when installing the Stage I kit on the EFI 1450 Twin Cam, which consists of Screaming Eagle breather kit and ECM calibration, there is an increase of over 10 lb-ft torque (about 70 to 81) and over 12 hp (about 58 to 70) when measured on a Dynojet chassis Dynomometer. There is no mention of changing exhausts. (page 447).

Of course, if you go look at the specs on Harley's website, you will see that they are claiming 82 lb-ft of torque on the stock twin cam bikes.

I have done Stage I upgrades on four Twin Cams of my own and found noticeable "seat of the pants" difference.