1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter does not engage

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by surfit, Sep 15, 2006.

1. surfit

surfit New Member

I have a 2001 Dyna Wide Glide, I started up just fine this morning, rode to work then I shut it off to open the gate, when I went to start it the starter just spun, I tried several times with no luck. I pushed it in gear to jog the engine incase it was in a funny spot, no luck. I noticed last weekend that the starter was kinda slipping as if it has a cluch or something? I have a lot of mechanical experience with engines, however this is my first Harley and my service manual is at home. From my experience it seems like the solenoid, on most newer engines I have worked on you replace both starter and solenoid is it the same way with my Harley? or could it be because the battery might be low and there is not enough umph to kick the solenoid? It didn't seem to be low when I started up this morning.:confused:
    Thanx,
    Jeff.
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I feel ya man... I have experience with automobliles too and when the starter acted funny, it was time to look at the solenoid first. Then I began to have starter problems with my Harley... Turned out the battery was shot... Don't know why it was that way, but it was. My one buddy told me to check the batt first... Soon as I load tested it, nada... And that was after a day long trickle charge... Hope this helps... Peace:)
  3. CD

CD Guest

If your starter just spins without grinding or if it spins and makes a screeching noise your starter clutch is probably toast. The starter clutch is really the same thing as the Bendix a one way clutch. If the starter tries to turn backwards, the clutch free wheels to prevent damage. Just like a Bendix, they wear out after awhile and with the kick back it can wear out faster.

If, it is grinding, jumping and eventually does start your pinion has probably chewed some teeth off of the ring gear. Both can be changed out and you can even go back to the earlier gearing.
  4. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

Starter Problems

Had the same problem on my 97 softtail. Figured the starter was toast. I was in MB SC when it croaked. Called a friend and took battery to have it tested. Bingo! Replaced battery and no more probs. good luck
    HarleyWyld1
  5. surfit

surfit New Member

Thanks for the input it ended up being the starter cluch. The replacement was not too difficult but the part wasn't cheap.:cool:
  6. CD

CD Guest

How much is expensive? Don't tell me you bought the O.E. HD?:( :eek:
  7. surfit

surfit New Member

It was Friday and the Dealership is right down the street therefore I got.....
    1 quart of oil
    1 Primary chain cover gasket
    1 Inspection cover gasket
    2 Tower gaskets
    3 o-rings
    1 starter cluch
    $176.00 and some change.
    So, did I pay double?
    I went back on Saturday and bought a battery.....
    $90.00.
    I did a search on this web site but it came up with no match?
    I am also a bit leary about buying stuff online for my Harley after purchasing a sissy bar bag from leatherup. It looked nice in the add but when I recieved it it was very thin and floppy. I also got some gloves and a helmet that are ok but if I had seen them in person I would have chose something else. They have a 30 day return garentee so I will see how that works, too much hassel.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Surfit,

Understand aboutg the online thing, however the stuff you get at DP is top notch from the best manuf, same you can buy locally,

I understand about wanting to get the scoot running over the weekend sure have been there enough.

At least you solved the issue and got it rolling that's the ticket.