1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

starter prob?????

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by csamra, Jun 14, 2004.

1. csamra

csamra New Member

have a 2000 wide glide. I had been riding for a few hours on a hot day, stopped and shut the bike off. after about an hour went to start the bike and nothing happened when i pressed the start button, not even the relay clicking. I was able to push start the bike and ride it home. After push starting the bike, the engine light stayed lit and I had no turn signals, no horn, flashing odometer and the speedo would not work. Other than that the bike ran fine the all the home. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this and how to correct it? i have heard different suggestions but i'm hoping someone out there has had these same probs and has a fix for me.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds very similar to my recent problem bike ran great, then all of a sudden I couldn't restart, it has a new battery, I replaced the relay, nothing worked.

Turned out to be a faulty main circuit breaker on the panel behind the rear splash guard. Popped in a new one for $6.50 and it's been fine ever since.
  3. csamra

csamra New Member

did you experience the same deal w/the horn and signals not working?
    as well as the speedometer??? how about the engine light being on?

thanks
  4. hotroadking

I didn't try and push start the bike as I was at a bike shop at the time it happened. I ended up trailering it home and working from the SM through the ignition schematic to trace the problem.

I didn't have any lights or electronics anywhere the bike wouldn't turn over but it would click at the press of the ignition.

You may have a different problem altogether however some of the symptoms sounded similar.
  5. csamra

csamra New Member

?

thanks - i fugured for 6 bucks - what the hell

picked up the breaker today and will try and give it a go when i get the bike home this weekend
  6. hotroadking

Can't hurt but I can't promise it will solve anything either, it was my problem at the time. Pretty easy to replace and it only goes one way note the posts are different colors so watch how to put it back in.
  7. csamra

csamra New Member

cool

well i figure while i replace it i'll also check all my wiring and grounding connections, etc
  8. csamra

csamra New Member

!!!!!!!!!!

replaced battery.......all is well