1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by pappycool, Mar 8, 2009.

1. pappycool

pappycool New Member

My Shovelhead ran like a sewing machine all day yesterday. This morning, hit the switch and "click"........nothing. The battery has a full charge, but the engine won't turn over. The starter relay just clicks when I try to start it. The starter (Prestolite) type is pretty new so I changed the Solenoid, but nothing. I just clicks. Could it be the starter? Is there any way to test it? Anybody got any ideas?:confused:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

to test....with the bike in neutral, use a jumper cable from the hot side of the battery to the large post on the starter motor.....the motor should spin, but wont start the bike. this will prove the starter to probably be ok.
    solonoid test.....jump across the two large terminals....the starter should try to spin the engine....this will prove the wiring to the solonoid is ok.
    use a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the smaller terminal on the solonoid, the starter should try to start the engine. if not, the solonoid is probably faulty. if the bendix is trying to engage the ring gear, but just grinding, you may need to pull the outer primary to see why it is not engaging.....hope this helps, let us know!!!
  3. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Thanks, I will check those out tomorrow pm. I will let ya know. However, I did already change the solenoid today with a new one, but ya never know.
  4. chucktx

i am assuming that you have checked all the connections for being clean and tight..includeing the ground wire at the battery and frame.....
  5. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Yea, everything is good with the connections. If everything checks out with your suggestions, could it be the starter relay? Right now it just clicks. I would think that means it is making the contact.
  6. chucktx

have you gotten to the starter relay???? is takes the power from the starter button and sends a signal to the solonoid. if the solonoid is clicking but not energising the starter, the internal contacts could be bad. make sure that when you push the button the small wire on the solonoid becomes hot. if not you need to trace back twards the button.....this will include the relay......
  7. pappycool

pappycool New Member

No, I haven't checked out the other tests you mentioned yet. However, the solenoid is not clicking, it is the starter relay. I just didn't know if it was supposed to or not. I would think that when I push the start button, the starter relay would click internaly to open or close the contacts. I'm at work right now, but will check it all out this afternoon when I get home and let ya know. Thanks for the help.
  8. chucktx

you may or may not hear the relay click.......best to check with a test light....you may be able to feel it clicking............
  9. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Hey Chucktx, I checked the hot wire to the post on the starter and it spun. I checked the big post to the big post on the Solenoid it it spun the starter. Ran a wire from hot battery to small post on the Solenoid and it only clicks when the wire hits it. It is a new Solenoid out of the box yesterday from Harley. My old one did the same thing. Sounds like the starter is ok. But with any test, it does not engage to the to the ring gear. The starter just spins. When I turn the switch on and push the start button, the starter relay just clicks. I don't know????????
  10. chucktx

the way the solinoid works.....there is a coil that pulls a copper plate against the two studs with the battery wire and starter wire. remove the wires, and the solonoid. clean the posts really good with a wire brush, and recheck the connections at the cable ends. the solonoid also needs a good ground. when replacing it, run a ground wire from the neg.side of the battery to the solonoid, just to be sure it is getting a good ground. from your posts, all indications point to a faulty connection. have you been able to get the bendix to engage the ring gear???? if it is bound up, it will not engage....
  11. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Nope. Can't get the bendix to engage the ring gear. I took the primary off and everything seems to be installed right. The solenoid just won't move the lever that pushes it the gear out. It just doesn't do anything when power hits it. It seems like it is the solenoid but I would be surprised if the new one and my old one is bad. But ya never know. All the wires and posts are clean. I just don't know what else. Got any ideas?
  12. chucktx

ok......take a volt meter and get a battery reading. this will be your base reading. put the bike in neutral, turn on the key, hit the startbutton. check battery reading. if the battery reading drops way off the base mark, you have a short, or a weak/bad battery. if it doesnt move there is a break some where in the start circuit.

you should be able to manually pull the bendex into the ring gear. will it move or is it bound up??

i feel that 2 solinoids should not act bad either..........but, stranger things have happened. running a direct hot from the battery to the small terminal on the solonoid should energize it, if all connections are sound. if you remove the solinoid and energize it with a hot to the small post and ground to the body, the hole should magnitize.
  13. chucktx

14. pappycool

pappycool New Member

Well I got bugs in my teeth, can't quit smilin riding down the road again. Man, after all that checking, I tracked down the hot wire from the solenoid and found a terminal end had broken under the dash. A new end and I was good to go. Guess the old shovel just vibrates too much. Thanks for all the tests. Ride safe!
  15. chucktx

good news!!!!!! glad ya got it back on the road......stay safe!!!!