1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter question to a shovel man

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by shttysmitty, May 12, 2013.

1. shttysmitty

shttysmitty Member

I've bought two of them chinamade silaoids and they both have shorted out in little ttime. I know older chevy points work and heard chevy makes a silanoid that will work. Does anyone know what year of chevy and model will get me fixed up. Thanks for any help in this.
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Try the ShovelheadUSA forum if no answers here.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Got these from Harley TechTalk,couldn't find anything for the solenoid though...

Borg Warner points for a 66 Chevy inline 6
    Blue Streak # DR2240X
    Accel 23018A - Accel Points and Condensers

ShovelheadUSA or HarleyTechTalk shovelhead section should get the answers you're looking for....good luck let us know how you make out...

Shovel Head

Shovelhead Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Oh yeah, stay away from the Chinese knock off junk:banghead:
  4. shttysmitty

shttysmitty Member

I know that chevy matches one for later model big twins
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

any chevy 66 -72 starter solenoid should work just fine
  6. joshbob

The Accel points/condensors work well with my shovel - just get the top of the line ones - pricy, but that's what you want. The set will last a long time . . .
  7. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

Points and condenser??? Really :wtf:

Fer cryin out loud, if your running the cone motor go out and get the Crane electronic ignition kit. Its not expensive, it easy to install and most importantly....IT WORKS!!! Respectfully.

Aloha....Mike
  8. joshbob

Points and condensors have worked for a hundred years and they work fine for me. I have found that most riders who don't like the older set up is that they are too lazy to mess with them. They don't like kick starting their bikes, either. And yes, EI is expensive and if it goes south while you're on the road, you gotta get towed and spend another $300 plus the mechanic's fee to get back on the road. No thank you.

I can change (or adjust) my points on the side of the road, which BTW, I haven't found necessary to do yet. To each his own, I guess.
  9. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

Exactly my point, you gotta mess with them. I had points and condenser on my '73 Sporty, my '41 741 Scout, my '59 FLH, my '76 FX and yes the work but sooner or later you always gotta mess with them. I put EI on my Frankenstein ('79 FX frame with weld-on hardtail, 80" shovel 4spd, kick start) and basically it was just set it and forget it. No more messin with it. Never got stranded anywhere either. Not sure what EI has to do with not liking to kick your bike, if anything it makes easier to kick.

Found these on Ebay $159 is more expensive than what I payed about 4 yrs ago for mine. Crane Cams 8 2100 Fireball Hi 4 Single Fire Performance Ignition | eBay

All I'm saying is I have found the EI to be less troublesome than points, end of story.

Like you said to each his own.

Aloha...Mike
  10. joshbob

I wonder if our shovelhead guy got his solenoid trouble straightened out.
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  11. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

LOL...I hope so!

Aloha...Mike
  12. shttysmitty

shttysmitty Member

I found one through NAPA and got it orderd, should be here tomorrow
  13. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Maybe some people just don't like obsolete technology. I don't know, just saying. :gah:
    If his solenoid keeps burning out he prolly has bad or wrong gauge battery cables. That creates more resistance in the starter circuit and with it more heat, thus burnt solenoids.
  14. shttysmitty

shttysmitty Member

thanks,good stuff to no
  15. shttysmitty

shttysmitty Member

I got the new made in USA part today an started puttin it all back together, well I found that the new one was going to fry out just as the chiner made one's was. I got out the gadjet tester and started touchen and got a short thats drawen .07 volts from the system somewhere. this damn bike is eather going to drive me to drinkin(MORE) or I'm gonna make a damn mailbox post that will make the news out of it! I'm going to hafta go bak to th store an get some more beer to figger this one out.
  16. joshbob

Good luck.
  17. shttysmitty

shttysmitty Member

Well I bin volt-a-meterin and its one of them shorts that won't be easy. I broke this bike down in Oct. to go through the tranny and did the paint, bearings, bushings, hell I went through every thing. Get it all back lookin and runnin great and some grimlin jumped on and won't leave. I found a leak in a wire going to the lites and hope to find it under the tanks when I get em off. Never Give Up! need more BEER!