1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter ring and pinion gear

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wblanton, Mar 9, 2009.

1. wblanton

wblanton New Member

This is the third thime my starter pinion gear and starter ring have chewed each other up. This time during bike week in Daytona. I remember the last time this happened that someone sent me a link to a problem with the starter ring on the 99 HD model. (not twin cam)
    Does anyone know a good permenant fix for this or am I going to keep having to deal with this issue?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

more info.....ya running stock??? everything lined up??? all shims in place?? correct clearances???? let us know!
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Here's a recall web site that I found a while ago. I don't see any recalls on your reing gear but this is good info anyway.

HARLEY DAVIDSON Recall - Vehicle Recall for HARLEY DAVIDSON

I thought I remember something about HD changing starter ratios on some models and they started to develop ring gear wear, but I can't remember anything else about it.

Do you still have the stock starter?
  4. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Yes to all your questions. everything lined up all shims and running stock. although I am running an after market starter now. It was changed after the second time, even though I couldn't find anything wrong with the stock one I figured that it may be the issue.

I read somewhere that this was an issue after harley increased the teeth on the starter ring, and there was a fix for it but I can't find that information now.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member