1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter trouble

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by oldevo, Jun 12, 2004.

1. oldevo

oldevo New Member

I've got an 84' fxst that the starter drags on real bad. It makes an awful sounding whining noiseand the engine doesnt turn over.when this happens it is drawing about 150amps.And sometimes it will crank the engine over, but it ctranks it really sloww. when the engine is actually cranking it draws from 200-215amps.I I crank on it long enough it will ussually start. I've replaced the starter, the starter drive, the solenoid, battery and the battery cables. I even ran a #8 ground wire directly to the starter housing. The bearings on both ends of the starter shaft are good. I'm lost here, can someone PLEASE tell me what to do to fix this.

ANY IDEAS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey found your original post

It sounds like a bad ground or poor connection, even though you've put in new cables, in some cases the connection to the frame with the star washers isn't good enough, sometimes the powdercoat is so thick the washer doesn't get a good ground.

Make sure the cables are touching bare metal on the ground wire.

Also make sure the battery is good, have a load test performed on it as that's the only way to be sure.

I'm guessing that the motors stock? If not do you have high compression pistons.

Have you tried to jump start it from another 12 volt battery to see if it helps the cranking.

Electrics are tough to track down but 90% are bad connections of which 90% are bad ground connections.