1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter won't disengage

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by softtail, May 8, 2006.

1. softtail

softtail New Member

Hey everyone.

I have a buddy with a "77 FXE. He has rebuilt the bike due to electrical problems. The main problem is the electric starter will not disengage after pushing the button.

Checked all the wiring, new harness, 4th or 5th starter he says. Button works fine open and closed. Switch will not disengage starter by turning off power.

Turn on switch, push on/off button to on and push starter button and starter goes. Won't shut off without pulling battery leads.
    It will not go until switch and on/off button are on, just like supposed to. Then run and run and run.

Could the solenoid be sticking? It just will not disegage. How can I check it? Have checked the grounds and they are per the schematic.
    Any thoughts?:(
    Thanks,
    Softtail
  2. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Had this happen to a buddy of mine's bike, and once to mine also. For me, I had a brass hammer in the tool box (lucky for me, I was leaving the house and had ALL my tools handy) and gave the starter a quick rap. It disengaged right away, and the starter never messed up again in the 2 more years I had it. On my friend's bike, we were out on the road, and it was at night. Stopped in a parking lot to try to get our bearing from the map (600 miles from home) and his stuck when we started to leave. Quickly disconnected the battery, and then tapped on the starter. (by quickly, I mean as quick as he could get into the saddlebag on a 1988 FLHS... about 2-3 min) We hooked up the cable to the battery, tried it several times, and it worked fine. The starter had never acted up again, it's been three years on that one.

Not sure if this helped, but solenoid is the next thing I'd be looking at. Good luck.
  3. CD

CD Guest

Most likely, the solenoid is staying closed. You can get a rebuild kit for it.
    The copper posts arc against the copper washer and it can create a tack weld....
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yupper.........what they said!!!!
    chuck
  5. softtail

softtail New Member

starter!

Thanks guys,
    I will get back with him and maybe we can sort this out. I will let you know how we do!
    Bruce:cool: