1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starting Issue on 1996 UltraClassic Evo

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dougandjanegeary, Oct 26, 2009.

1. dougandjanegeary

dougandjanegeary New Member

Read the forum and found similiar issues to my problem. Most times my bike starts properly but once in awhile it only clicks. Once it has been pull started it works fine for many a day, maybe a month and hard to diagnose. The bike has 158,000 miles and the dealer immediately says started replacement but they want $400-$500.00. I have dual exhaust and can see the starter easily.

Can I rebuild the selenoid without removing the started and see if this fixes the problem????

If the starter has to be replaced, can it be done without removing the primary chain, clutch, etc.?? It again looks like an easy removal but the dealership estimates two hours.

I have already replaced the relay and figure the selenoid would be the next easy repair and then as last resort, hopefully replacement is not a major project.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it is not a hard job....the best tool will be a factory service manual. it will give you the torques also.....hope this helps. 2 hrs is about right, if you have done it before.....if not 3 to 4. have fun and let us know!!!
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Could be the starter,

One culprit would also be a bad power connection, check the ground connections, be sure they are tight and clean, where they touch the frame, put a star washer.

If you have the single wire to the starter consider doing an upgrade to the newer dual wire ground like the newer bikes have, two ground contact points.

If the wires are old, hard, or worn replace them, clean up the connection areas

Check the battery, it may be discharging while it sits, might be time for a new battery, HD's AGM are the best, last the longest and hold up to heat the best.

Find out if a dealer for Deka Batteries is in your area, they make HD batteries and you can get one for less than HD sells them

Once you determine that the charging system is functioning properly then move on to the starter.

remove the end cap from the starter (allen screws on chrome cap) and BE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL
    press in the end of the solenoid using a punch or tip of a screwdriver, see if it engages easily.

If this works and you continue to have problems from the switch on the bars, follow the wires from the starter to the switch and look for a break or problem or maybe the switch itself is going out.

You can put a chrome cover that you can get from Custom Chrome (Indy shops etc) to replace that stock cover and the new cover has a button so you flip on the ignition and reach down and press the button on the starter, makes a good backup and it looks cool...

Regarding changing starters, yes you will have to pull the primary cover as there is a bolt going through the jackshaft remove the bolt, then you can pull the starter from the other side by removing the two allens in the inner primary cover (remove pos and neg ground wires first) be careful you watch for the starter to jackshaft coupler in there and keep it on the starter in the correct direction and transfer to the new starter, yes there is a right and wrong direction.

and get the SM so you have all the steps, it's not hard, just time consuming.

oh and when you have the end cover off the starter solenoid, pull out the brass bits and see if they are worn sometimes a bit of sanding wil lclean them up and fix the problem

Start with power first
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good advise!!!! a lot of typing, but good advise! lol lol
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

he must cut & past a lot :roflmao: but still sound advice , try the easy stuff it's cheaper , & like chuck if you don't have the book try to find one makes it easier :cool:
  6. dougandjanegeary

Thanks for the information. I already ordered one of the selenoid push buttons from Dennis Kirk.com after I read your post.... They had several different models ranging from over $100 to the one I got for $21.00 Thanks
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yeah lot of typing..

but you want to be sure they test it all.

$21 is just as good as $100

For now pull the chrome cover and check the brass parts, clean them up with some emery cloth.

Check battery
    check cables

got a digital multi meter? If not go to home despot or lowes and get one not a super expensive
    but digital is better.

Remove the starter wire from the end of the starter by taking the clip out, turn on ignition and see what voltage you're getting, if you have a big drop say you get 9 or 8 volts but show 13+ at the battery it could be a bad wire or switch in the housing.
  8. dougandjanegeary

More good advise. Thanks again to all that helped.