1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Staying warm

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

A question for those who live in the further north (or SE Texas given Chuck's recent pics). I am sick of the cold, mostly I am sick of my hands feeling frozen. I'm using really good gloves, not fashion items, designed for the UK cold and damp.

So what works best? Heated grips or heated gloves? I'm leaning towards grips. Thoughts anyone?
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

From what I have heard, I would not go with heated grips. As I understand it, if you install them, 1) they are not fun to install, and 2) plan on the Left grip going bad sooner then the right.....as I understand it, the thought is that when you park the bike, the bike leans to the left.....rain, moisture, etc can/will seap into it, eventually causing it to fail faster then the RIGHT one, which is in the air and water is draining away from it. With heated gloves, you turn them on and off or wear them or not as you see fit....thereby not having to worry about the install OR whether the Left will last as long as the right.....

For what it is worth!! Again, I have not had direct experience with it tho....
  3. steveb

steveb Active Member

I would go with heated gloves. They will heat your whole hand and fingers not just the palm side. With the gloves you will have heat on the side of your hand and fingers that are out in the cold wind.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

heated gloves are by far better than grips....the grips will only heat your palms....gloves...depending on what is purchased, will heat the whole hand........:)
    oh, and lots of electrical problems with heated grips.....
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Heated grips are OK on cool days but for really cold weather heated gloves are by far better. If you go with the grips don't buy the Harley heated grips. There are after market grips out there that do a much better job than the HD ones.
  6. Thunder99

Thunder99 New Member

Heated grips are good for some, but not for everyone. For the damper climates, heated gloves are better, especially if you get cold easily. Plus, the heated gloves protect you from the moisture better than using a thinner pair of gloves with the heated grips.

Just my $.02