1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

STD Heads for shovelhead...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, May 21, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Anybody have experience with these brand of heads?
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

STD make good robust stuff...at least their blocks have that reputation. I wouldn't bother replacing your stock heads unless they're broken/cracked... I'd just get the stockers reworked(cleaned up/street port)larger valves are of no benefit unless c.i.d. is increased to around 100" give or take a couple of inches and a radical top end cam is used,then you're opening up another can of worms with tranny,starter, chassis and brakes not being able to keep up with engine output. JMHO:devil:
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I don't think that I would want a head that has an STD!!!!:eek::roflmao:
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I agree with Lucifer. I had my motor at 103 ci and thats exactly what happend. All the other system on the bike could not keep up with the 103 ci compression. Starter, solenoid, wiring, battery, etc all started to fail on me. I almost always would break down somewhere.
    I had it rebuilt to 93 ci and now she runs and starts great. I got new heads /cause my heads are old and tired, broken fins and they leak. Plus the new heads are ported and flowed for 20% more air and power~! Sweet. I will go with all new valves, springs, etc. I might go with the Jims top end oil kit for the shovelhead too. It oils the top end like an Evo does. Much better but it cost about $1100~! The heads alone are gonna about $2000 when it's all said and done. Should be worth it tho 'cause I can sell my old heads to offset the price a little. I will keep you guys posted on my progress!