1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Steering head removel

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rkortan, Mar 14, 2009.

1. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Riding down a country road this morning, riding with no hands on the handlebars adjusting my gloves momentarily, I experience a steering wobble that I had only heard about before. So I guess I need to service the bearings in my front end. My question is, how do I remove the chrome cap thats on the steering nut. It doesn't seem to have a set screw and I don't want to ruin it by using the incorrect removal method. it's on my 98 wide glide with 50k on it.
    Help................Bob
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i had to remove one on a 05 wg. it is threaded. if anti sieze is not used it is a pita!!!! use a rag and channel locks to remove it. be warned if the threads are rusted..(good possibility)...you may need to invest in a new one......
  3. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Thanks, I'll be taking it apart this week. I am also installing new progressive shocks and fork springs along with the true-track stabilization links to improve handling. Since I can't get a new bike this year I am going to turn this one into a dyna-bagger.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cool!!! keep us posted on the progress!!!!!!!!!!