1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Steering stabilizer on Dyna Bagger

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rkortan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Today I continued the reinvention of my 1998 Dyna Wide Glide. I installed a True-track suspension stabilizer device. I think the design of this thing will make some positive difference in the handling of my bike. Last weekend I experienced a terrible wobble that I really didn't like and decided to make some improvements I had been planning for a while. Along with the true-trac I installed new Progressive shocks and fork springs. I also put on hard bags and a tour pak this winter. I'm almost done . I will put on some new shaker floorboards next month and then nothing but riding. I will let everyone know if I think the True-trak makes a noticeable difference. It sure does look cool though. Their web site is True-Track, Inc. for those who want to more about it.
    thx..............Bob
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds good!!!! hope it works to your expectations!!!! any pics of your bike with all the improvements????
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Wow

I was just looking at this in AI magazine.

rkortan,
    Let us know how it feels.

Did you do anything to the swing arm bushings (internal ones)?

Does anyone know when you should replace these? How do you know when they are bad and are there any better aftermarket ones?

I know, questions, questions, questions.:rolleyes:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just FYI

Everybike has a center of gravity, a balance point if you will.

If you overload the rear you lighten the front,
    When you lighten the front you lower the contact patch
    This can cause wobble at highway speeds.

Just don't want you to think that the issue is solved by adding a true track, This bike usually doesn't have a wobbly swingarm setup like a bagger, on a dyna usually they handle great and have little issues as they are more sport tour than tour.

The problem you have may be weight related with a tour pack, bags, two up rider and passenger, be careful not to exceed the weight capacity of the bike.

Buddy has a gold wing, you'd think nothing would make it wobble.

When he loaded the side bags, tour pack, dropped on an external bag on top of the tour pack, then plugged his new handy dandy trailer extension that allowed him to put more baggage on the back (like the ones you see on a truck with a cooler extending from the trailer mount) then loaded up himself and sister for a cross country ride he found the front tire was just about off the road. had very little steering...
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

had a 1996 Dyna with a strong running 89 incher in it. I was never really impressed with the handling with it. I put works performance shocks in the back and springs in the front. A Carlini torque arm helped keep the power train lined up but it never felt as planted as my FXR did. I believe this bike is still an EVO so there are some flex issues there. The tru trak can't hurt. The twin cam dynas were more stabile as far as drive train flex went
  6. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

2 up ridin was the biggest reason I swapped out my lowrider for the e-glide,mine was a 98 (last of the EVO) handled great for just me but put some milk in the saddle bags and wife on the back it turned into a carnival ride! Like they say it "would push like a dumptruck" could almost feel the flex from front to rear so I think the true-trac and progressive shocks should help!
  7. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Today I went for a nice ride to test the changes I've made to my bike. Everything seems to work just fine. It seems to be more solid and stable rather than the wobble I felt last week. I haven't put any weight on it yet but I'm not really worried about that because I don't ever carry a passenger. I don't plan to carry a 100 lbs of clothing so I think I'll be ok. I did seem to feel some vibration coming through the floorboards but I plan to take care of that with 'shakers' mext month. When putting on the True-track I ran into a couple of problems trying to get the rear brackets into place. There isn't much room so I ended up taking the brackets apart to squeeze them through the frame and into place. Also the hardware that comes with the kit could be better. I changed the bolts from hex head to grade 8 stainless.
    So,instead of a new ultra I have my 10 year old Dyna set up for my use and so far I'm happy. And I still have 20 grand to play with...........Bob

If I could figure how to attach photos I would send some pictures
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see the pics. Like you, I am into the fix what I got mode.

I was investigating these track links, several of them out there, they mostly look the same.

I was about to buy the TWR for 98 FLH frames when I came across one made by Progressive Suspension and through one of the online parts suppliers I can get it for $150. I think I'll get this one on the next pay check.

One thing that you may notice with these track links is that it may transfer some vibration into the frame... or so I've read.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you will be hard pressed to find a better handling harley than the old fxr's.......lots of folks looking for them.....most folks dont want to part with them.......:)
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

You're right. I sold mine because I was getting laid off a bunch of years ago. I remember when you couldn't give an FXR away, no one wanted them, look too japanese,then Donny Smith, Dave Perowitz and Arlen Ness mad 'em look cool, then Harley stopped making them and whammo everyone wanted one..sweet bike..some day I'll find another one.