1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Steering Wobble Repaired

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Jul 10, 2008.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Got the scooter back from the dealership today. Steering head bearing was way loose. Rides like a new bike. I did notice that going down the interstate that it would pull around some on tar joints and milled concrete but maybe all baggers do that some. Nice to have the scooter back. Someday may put on a steering stabilizer. Can anyone tell me if I can trim and Lexan windshield with a dremel tool. I got a Drag Specialities for the bike and it doesn't fit quite right.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

this is how i trim.....cover both sides with masking tape, i use the wide stuff...then i use a hand held jig saw with a medium blade in it, then sand the edges.....piece of cake!!!!! i have used a dremel type tool to do the holes...ya need to be carefull when using the dremel as it will try to wander............have fun!!!!!!:)
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

yea you have to go with the flow on rotomilled surface as it carrys some heavy lines and bad surface just slow down a little and don't fight the bike, as for the "tar worms" or tar joints and crack sealer( same thing just all over the place) i try to avoid spending to much time on them as it will sling up on a hot day and also build a slight oil fillm to your tire, making hard cornering a little hairy, as with curves and turns where these are present if your not careful you can literaly lose your tail. but if it is really wondering and had a few miles on it you might check your swing arm bushings
  4. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Dunlop (I call 'em Rocklop) tires do that - happens on Sportsters too. Which is one reason I run Metzelers - they don't follow road imperfections. Neither do Avons, Bridgestones or Continentals - I just like Metzeler the best, but anything is better than the stock Dunlops. The Rocklops do last a lot longer though, but it's because they're so hard.

Steering stabilizer is not a bad idea, but should never be used to cover up a problem, which it will. But since you've already got your problem solved, it certainly wouldn't hurt to add one, especially if you often encounter poor roads, rain grooves, metal bridge grating, etc.

As to trimming the 'shield, yep you can do that - if you have a very steady hand. And you'll want to tape both sides 1st - I used to cut a lot of Lexan @ work & put masking tape on both sides, then drew the line I wanted to cut. You can finish off the edge with some Emory cloth. If you're careful & take your time, you'll end up with a nice result.