1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sticker on chrome removal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bdfin, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bdfin

bdfin New Member

What is the best trick for removing these things (stickers) from chrome parts without damaging the chrome.
    Thanks.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

use a hair dryer to warm it up....after the sticker is removed, use some fingernail polish remover to get rid of the glue residue that is left behind..hope this helps........have fun!!!:)
  3. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

haha............I was gonna say a heat gun and acetone. Same thing. Pretty much any solvent should work (alcohol, paint thinner, etc.) The sell some stuff called Goof Off that also works reasonably well. Another brand I've seen is Goo Gone.

Depending on how good the glue is and how long its been on there, nice hot soapy water and some elboy grease might do it too.
  4. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Thanks guys I'll go with the heat and solvent plan.
  5. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

Charcol starter fluid works well and will not damage any painted surface.
  6. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Charcoal fluid huh....I already have some of that.....and then you Bar-B-Q when your done.
  7. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Yup, as long as you're not bar-b-q ing the bike you're Ok!!
  8. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

sticker removal

WD-40 works well:cool:
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

WD-40 would be a better choice. Wouldn't want to have any remote possibility of a fire starting... Especially next to or on the ol' m-cycle!!!:)
  10. chucktx

wd 40 is a great subistute for starting fluid.....with a bit more oil to help lube the cylinders.......so, it will burn for sure also!!!!! most chemical/solvents will burn/explode. that is why we need to be extra carefull with all of them. i mentioned a hairdryer and polish remover cause it was a one stop deal if there is a woman in the house....bathroom!
    did ya get the sticker off???
  11. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Ok the suspense is over. Used the heat which got it off and left the nice glue patch and then tried the nail polish remover which softened it up but wasn't coming off real clean, so went to the WD40 and she cleaned right off without any scratching at all. Now I have a chemical buzz going......thanks for the tips.
  12. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Well, at least you got something out of the deal...:D
  13. chucktx

glad ya got it off........have fun!!!!!!!:)
  14. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Sorry...read this one late..... I use goo-be-gone... or goof off....you can get it at most hardware stores....but I'll try WD-40 as a comparison too..
  15. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

easy off oven cleaner
  16. bdfin

bdfin New Member

You guys are a bottomless pit of info, never thought to try the goof off or oven cleaner. Anyways the next step of this project after the sticker removal (air cleaner) is getting the standard 88 C. I. center insert out of the air cleaner so I can put in an aftermarket piece. At first I thought it might go just over the top, but the length of the screw suggests it goes in as a replacement to the original.
    Would a rubber mallet from the back side pop it out? Seems to be press fit. Put a small screwdriver under the lip and it just bends it out....or should I be trying to gently work my way all the way around and then it comes out ?
  17. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

If I remember right, and I don't always, I remember seeing double stick tape holding that center piece on. (??) Gently pry out on the edge of it so you don't scratch or dent anything and see if you see any of that tape behind it. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will either slap me or correct me, that's for sure.
  18. chucktx

use the same heat gun to soften the glue then gently pry it off.....it is a double sticky black glue, then use the polish remover/wd 40 to clean it up......
  19. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Hmmm would have not thought it was glued because of the way it looks, but it makes sense I guess. I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.
    Thanks.
  20. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Well ChuckTX and VC, once again you guys are right on the money. Applied the heat to her and worked it off no problem. It's a good thing you guys aren't charging a dollar a clue, I wouldn't have any $ left to fix up the bike.
    Thanks Again.