1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sticky Film

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Striker57, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Striker57

Striker57 New Member

I pulled the stock seat off my 05 Fatboy thinking I would run awhile with a solo. Seat came off and there was a thin adesive film unter the passenger portion of the seat protecting the top of the rear fender (I assume). I peeled the film off, it was easy to remove and is reusable. Problem is this, there is a "ridge" of something that follows the outline of this film cover on the fender!! I have tried Goo Gone and Brake fluid (suggested by HD Dealer over the phone) and nothing works. I don't want to scrape it off for fear I will damage the paint. What can I do though? If I don't get any feedback here to try, I reckon I will go to the dealer and have them look at it. Thanks. :confused:
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

All I can think of is some rubbing compound and a little elbow-grease. Chucktx is the resident body and paint man, maybe he’ll chime in and let you know. Good luck.
  3. Breeze

Breeze New Member

I'm an old timer and don't know about all the new fangled procucts but rubbing compound I have used in past would destroy clear coat. I don't know if it is any better than brake fluid but put try a heavy dose of your wax or bug/tar remover. Let it stay on long enough so that it will dissolve the adhesive a little (not totally dry) and buff it off. It will take several applications and some elbow grease but it will come off.
  4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yup, rubbing compound is a little on the abrasive side of things, but then, I have a Walmart-rattle-can paint on my bike. :eek:
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i put my thoughts on this over in the tech area......
    chuck