1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sticky Film

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Striker57, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Striker57

Striker57 New Member

I posted this by mistake in the Polling Place. I have an 05 Fatboy that I pulled the stock seat off to try going solo for awhile. Under the rear portion of the seat on top of the rear fender was a plastic adhesive film (to protect the top of the fender (I assume). It came off very easy and is resuable. Problem is that there is a hard ridge that follows the outline of the adhesive film that I just removed. I have tried Goo Gone and brake fluid (recommended by HD Dealer over the phone) but nothing works. I don't want to scrape it off for fear of damaging the paint. If I don't get any feedback from here to try I reckon I will take it to the dealer to look at. :confused:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

try going to a paint and body shop.....take a small container that is clean, and has a lid on it. ask if you may purchase a small amount of grease and wax remover. i use a brand called omni mx190. it is made by ppg. if you have your own container they will probably give it to you. it has worked for me. it takes acouple of tries but it should get it off. dont rub real hard, and use a clean cloth, turning it frequently......
    chuck
  3. chucktx

sticky, did you get the film off????
    chuck
  4. Striker57

Striker57 New Member

Nope, still there. I took the bike to the local dealer and they told me it was clear coat that had formed around the edges of the protective sheet. They recommended I call the dealer were I bought the bike (about an hour away). I called and spoke with the customer serice manager and she said she would get back to me...an hour later she called and told me that the store manager agreed to replace the fender!!!!! Though they had never seen a clear coat issue as I described they did agree that it wasn't right. So I am waiting for the fender to arrive to switch out. Talk about customer service :D
  5. chucktx

that is great!!! i have seen that before, but not on a factory paint job. what happens is that the object is installed on the vehicle before the clear is fully cured, then tightened down. the part sinks into the clear as it cures, and leaves a ridge. glad the motorco is fixing it for you.....
    chuck
  6. Breeze

Breeze New Member

... sounds like MoCo put the strip on right after spraying the clear coat! Great to hear that they are making it good.
  7. Striker57

Striker57 New Member

Done

Just got back from the HD...installed a new fender with no moans and groans. HD of Orlando (old factory) did me right. :)