1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stock exhaust with slip ons vs True Dual exhaust

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AFNurse, Jun 8, 2004.

1. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I have a 2004 E-Glide Standard EFI and am looking for long term changes (for the better I hope). I am hoping that as money comes available and/or I save my pennies, I can change the air filter and exhaust. Currently have stock everything. Plan to change the Air filter, no problem. Question I have is: slip on pipes or True Dual headers? What are the pros/cons of each? Leaning toward Hooker pipes, but not commited yet. Thoughts? Comments? I would like Pleasant "rumble", however, living on a military instalation and working shift work, needs to be manageable in the middle of the night when coming or going to work. Thanks! :confused:
  2. wildvan

wildvan New Member

And with adding more to this question, which slip-ons are the best for the money? If a new exhaust is the best, which one with out getting stopped every block by the local law enforcment?
  3. Seahag

Seahag New Member

In my opinion, if money is tight and you won't be building a high horse motor anyway...the slip on pipes are adequate enough and much cheaper. The stock headers seem to be large enough to accomplish their job...so you're just opening up the mufflers to breathe easier. True duals I believe have the added benefit of tuned headers with either specially shaped curves (like the Bassani pro curve) which keep the front and rear cyllinder exhaust runs the same length or with step tuned headers which gradually increase the pipe diameter as it works its way toward the mufflers. I believe they do that to keep gas velocity higher and stop reversion waves from making their way back to the exhaust valve. I have also heard that true duals do not tune so well with the stock EFI system using the flash system. I guess the flash is not independantly adjustable between front and rear cyllinders and so the rear will run lean and very hot while the front runs fine. The guy who told me this had the rhineharts put on and could not tune out the excessive popping till he antied up for the new S&S feul module with a closed loop system and I think individual maps for front and rear cyl. I do not have EFI but if this is true that would also add to your costs. I have KhromeWerks slip on Hp+ pipes and they have a nice deep rumble and are very loud when you jump on it but when I come home off a night shift if I keep the Rpm below 2000 its not too loud...I haven't had a complaint in the three years I've had my harley. Just be courteous and you can get away with some fairly loud pipes. At low rpm my bike isn't any worse than my neighbors with their chevy V-8 pickups. :D
  4. wildvan

wildvan New Member

where did you pick up the Khromeworks pipes? and how much did they run? Sitting next to someone with SE slip ons, is there much differance or do you know? Thanks for the info though.
  5. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I bought my KhromeWerks here from directparts. I think I paid about $180.00 each and since I was over a certain limit the shipping and handling was FREE. My father in law has screaming eagle II slip-ons and he's been kicking himself in the ass ever since I first showed up with mine. My pipes have a much deeper tone and are louder (but not annoyingly, drag pipe like) than his. I'd never heard about KhromeWerks before having them recommended to me here on this board. There are a lot of good slip-on pipes out ther (a friend of mine just bought Vance and hines that I really like) but what kind of sealed the deal for me was that they are made here in Minnesota...and if I can help keep a few jobs in the area I will. If I had to do all over again...I would :D ...I very much like these pipes.
  6. BluesCruiser

BluesCruiser New Member

Just put Hooker Tuned Flow slip-ons on my 89 flhtc/u last year. Liked the idea that they were tunable for noise/performance. I've been running stock pipes on the bike since I bought it new so my first set of loud pipes was a bit of a surprise, forget the radio which I used to really enjoy but I'd rather hear the pipes, they sound good.

If you ride easy they're not that loud but get on it and they get loud so in that respect they're also "tunable" for sound :D . Lot's of choices out there so good luck.
  7. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Hey Blues...you can always add an amplifier and boost those tunes up...works for me. :D
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

KW pipes are good performers, www.khromewerks.com for more information.

Another good pipe for those on a budget is www.wildpigpipes.com they are under $200 for the set, you can get blems from production on ebay. They have three baffles sets and you'd want the smallest baffle for a stock bike.

Look for a DFO on ebay or sale and a SE air filter kit, do it one at a time.

Only do the pipes until you have all three parts the ECM cannot accomodate the pipes and air filter at the same time without a DFO or reflash.
  9. CD

CD Guest

One note on the DFO / TFO Techlusion fuel tuners. These are all made made Techlusion and they work on the premise of adding fuel as HRK says. However they are also depending on you have the correct map or closest map for your configuration installed. According to the techs at Techlusion this is what makes the unit so effective. You are able to bring the fuel curve in line for the configuration and the correct timing map is in the ECM.

The upside is that they easy to use, and do work.

The downsides are it requires the proper stage to be loaded to work properly and you can only richen and not lean the mixture.

If you add the cost of a DFO to the cost of a Stage I you are actually paying more than you would for a PCIII.
  10. hotroadking

Yes they are quite simple it's kind of like taking the physical steps you'd deal with on a carb and making them into an electronic EFI tuner.

Have a friend with a shop and dyno that did some tuning, they changed some parts on a bike a stage 1 I believe and it actually ended up being too rich in a certian range, he posted the graph on another board, point being a DFO wouldn't have allowed them to tune out the extra fuel.

Have to agree if you buy the stage chip upgrades and DFO you're looking at $ for $ the same as a PC3r. You'll still need to dyno tune both to get the most out of the products JMHO :)
  11. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

wow

I still got the Kwrks on mine. They are from 01 and been on two bikes. ONly thing that survived the wreck, other than me, 5-1/2 years ago. put them on the 02 and been there since. all hte Screaming beagle2 buddies I have wished or actually have changed to them. Not sure if they are around anymore or work well with fuel injection. But with the new fuel injection setup being more adjustable, it might be worth looking into.
  12. hotroadking

Khrome Werks is still around, Jim the owner makes Daytona every year, nice guy and he has some good products, pipes, bars etc.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

AFN i went with V&H true dules up front & at first my ovels , had a few tell me it was to loud , I then switched to some hollowed out S&E slips ons with the big city thunder good sound & no one it bitchen , A good friend has the hooker on his stock 06 RK I realy like the sound of his bike , I plan on looking into a set for mine . you can change the sound by just removing or adding some shims, I do miss the looks of the ovels on my 03 E glide
  14. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks HRK

I knew the company was around, but not sure about the my style (part number) of mufflers.
    I've been looking into their beefy T's. Have ya ever got any handlebars from em? Thanks for any input you or other may have about their handlebars.