1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stock ignition coil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, May 24, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hi guys, does anyone know if there's a way to test a coil to see if it's working?
    I am getting power to the coil but it's not firing the motor and yes... I got gas, huh,huh, yuck yuck.. I got gas... get it??
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

There is a procedure for it in my manual for my 98. Check your manual. You will need a multi-meter that reads ohms.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Coil Primary Circuit Test....set your ohm meter to the Rx1 scale and check across the studs, resistance should be 2.5-3.1 ohms....to test the Secondary, set the meter to the R x 1K and check across the plug wire sockets, it should read 11,250-13,750 ohms...that's for a dual fire stock coil...hope it helps..:devil:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hook it properly, install a plug wire, make sure the points are fireing, stick a plug in the wire,.hold onto the plug and spin er over...............you will know if it is fireing!!!!!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

the ohm test should work, but, be sure the points are fireing.....
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Lucifer! The coil reads 4.8 ohms when tested from stud to stud.
    Chcck, it's not firing (you wise ass) that's why I wanted to check it.
    I swapped it out with a different coil and still no spark. The coil is getting power to both top and bottom studs when the kill switch and ignition are both on so I'm thinking the problem is either points, condensor or electronic ignition, depending on what this motor has. Is there a way to check to see if the points and condensor are bad?
  6. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Can anyone tell what is involved in converting a points type ignitionn to an electronic type? I need to buy an electonic ignition and the rotator cup that screws to the end of the cam. Do I need a new cam and cam cover too?
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Tommy if you buy the elec ign set it comes all in a kit , your cam will work & same cover as well just read the instructions & go step by step plug & play , To check the points open the cover , turn ign on & use a screw driver just touch the tip of the points should spark
  8. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

excellent info, thanks cowboy.
    Can the points or the condensor get fried from having a short circiut on the bike (which I did)?
  9. cowboy

depend's on where your short is , if in the ign systems then yes
  10. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Yes, it was the wire that went from the 30amp breaker to the itnition switch. It shorted out on me twice. First time I replaced it the bike started. The second time now she wont start but the coil is not the problem and the coil has powere so it's not the switches or wires. Only thing let is the electronic ignition or points/condensor depending on which this bike has, correct?
    What happens with an ignition circuit short, will the points get fried or the condensor or both?
  11. cowboy

the poimts are the week link , look at the tip where it opens & closes should be smooth , thay can burn & stick together or burn & go bad , I always change the condenser when changing points, if you have the elec ign you'll have to change it out & fix the short , look for a route for the wire that wont let it get broke or smashed , & away from most heat
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Got ya~!, thank Cowboy.
    I will dig into the ignition tonight after work to see what type I have. If points I will inspect them for damage, if electronic, I will swap with another known working unit.
    Thanks guys! I will let you know what happened.
  13. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Cowboy: By looking at pix in the JP catalog it looks like I have a V-tech type of ignition set-up. Are you familiar with them? Is that electronic or points type or neither? There's only 2 wires coming out of it if that tells you anything?
  14. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hey Lucifer, are those numbers for an electronic ignition or points and condenser set-up? Does it matter, are they different coil types?
    I checked my coil and it read 4.8 ohms from post to post, is that /cause it's a points set-up coil?
  15. Lucifer

Those numbers are out of my 87-90 Softail SM...so it's an electronic ignition...your reading could be because it's a points set up but I'm not sure.
  16. Lucifer

OK found a coil for points system on the web... 4.8 ohms is good for your coil
    VOLT-TECH - 12-Volt Coil Fits 1965 thru 1979 Points Ignition Systems - 4.8 OHMs
  17. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Excellent info, thank you Sir~!
  18. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

So, if I had a short in the ignition circuit, which I did, the probably cause for not getting spark now would be fried points, sound correct?? I know the coil is good and it's getting power from the ignition and kill switch.
    I am gonna tear into it this weekend and find out WTF is going on in there.
    Thanks for help guys~!
  19. cowboy

Tom your best bet is to find & fix the short first, then replace your points , or buy a few sets of points & change as needed :(, I would also change the condencer as well
  20. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Short is fixed. I will replce points and condenser and hope she fires up~!
    Thanks guys~!